Home and Away

Home and Away

Postby Ratbelly » Sat Jul 16, 2022 8:28 pm

Anything I am missing here in this game. I seem to win most of my home games by 20 and lose most of the road games by 20 to 30. I realize winning on the road is difficult. But all of the games are blowouts seemingly.
Ratbelly

Re: Home and Away

Postby PointGuard » Sat Jul 16, 2022 11:12 pm

Home court advantage is significant in college basketball and that's replicated in DDSCB so most teams will win most of their home games and lose most of their away games. In an association I'm running with 5 teams which thus far have played 6 non-conference games apiece this season, those 5 teams are 8-0 at home and 9-15 away. For a different association at the end of a season here's the W-L record for an entire mid-major conference: Home games: 141-85; Away games: 89-123

With regard to closeness of the games, Gary worked on that to make some improvements in DDSCB2022 over previous versions of the game, but my OPINION is that there are still too few very close games and this needs further attention when CB2023 is developed. But I'm not seeing most games with a 20 or 30 or more point difference. Of course if you have a very good team or a very terrible team, there will likely be more blowouts. In that same association (with 5 human coached teams), the point differential for the 5 teams' games have been: 11 games decided by 1-10 points, 13 decided by 11-20 points, and 8 decided by 21 or more points. Of course there's a bigger quality difference between opponents in non-conference games than in conference games, so there's likely a larger point differential in non-conference games than in conference games. For a 17-16, 9-9 team (a very average team) in a mid-major conference in the other association at the end of the season, here's the point differentials for their games: 16 games with 1-10 point differences, 14 games with 11-20 point differences, and 3 games with over a 21 point difference.
Dynasty Threads:
Fedora-CB;Town Crier-CB;FIve Friends/Foes-CB;Media Perspective-CB;Whatever It Takes-CB;Who's Bret Vandergard-CB;Gym Rat-CB;Repairman-CB;S. Mastroani-TPG;V. Stevenson-TPG
PointGuard
DDS:CB Support Squad

Postby jfsolo23 » Tue Jul 19, 2022 2:05 pm

Yes it does need more tuning. I'm at the point in my Association where I have a top 10 team every year, but I still get beat on the road by 20 plus points at least 2 or 3 times a year by the bottom 1/3 of my conference. IMO the defense against mid range and 3pt shooting being too strong at home is the primary reason.
jfsolo23

Postby Ratbelly » Tue Jul 19, 2022 2:39 pm

PointGuard wrote:Home court advantage is significant in college basketball and that's replicated in DDSCB so most teams will win most of their home games and lose most of their away games. In an association I'm running with 5 teams which thus far have played 6 non-conference games apiece this season, those 5 teams are 8-0 at home and 9-15 away. For a different association at the end of a season here's the W-L record for an entire mid-major conference: Home games: 141-85; Away games: 89-123

With regard to closeness of the games, Gary worked on that to make some improvements in DDSCB2022 over previous versions of the game, but my OPINION is that there are still too few very close games and this needs further attention when CB2023 is developed. But I'm not seeing most games with a 20 or 30 or more point difference. Of course if you have a very good team or a very terrible team, there will likely be more blowouts. In that same association (with 5 human coached teams), the point differential for the 5 teams' games have been: 11 games decided by 1-10 points, 13 decided by 11-20 points, and 8 decided by 21 or more points. Of course there's a bigger quality difference between opponents in non-conference games than in conference games, so there's likely a larger point differential in non-conference games than in conference games. For a 17-16, 9-9 team (a very average team) in a mid-major conference in the other association at the end of the season, here's the point differentials for their games: 16 games with 1-10 point differences, 14 games with 11-20 point differences, and 3 games with over a 21 point difference.

It is very reasonable for road games to be difficult. I get that. I just was hoping for more interesting games. Now these wide swings were in my first and 2nd season, in my third season, the games all seemed to play a lot more closely, including my home games and road games.

Literally there was a 40 point swing in my 2nd season against teams. I beat Western Kentucky by 26 at home and lost by 23 on the road. Western Kentucky was a 6 win team and I had a 19 win team. I had several other teams where it was a 17 point home win and a 20 some odd point road loss. So I was just a pit concerned. My 3rd season was excellent, full of tight home and away games as well as some lop sided wins and losses on both sides, so much better.
Ratbelly

Return to DDS: College Basketball 2022 General Discussion