Offense/Defense schemes

Offense/Defense schemes

Postby adamj95 » Mon Jul 18, 2022 12:39 pm

i was wondering if anyone could give some input on this. Is it best to run the same type of offense and defense each year or is it best to switch it up depending on which styles my players are best at? Also, is there is a specific type of offense or defense that is better than others? This is a weakness in my playing of this game as i don’t really know which types i should be running.
adamj95

Re: Offense/Defense schemes

Postby PointGuard » Mon Jul 18, 2022 6:27 pm

I think you'll find that different players prefer different sets. I don't really think that one is necessarily better than another, but yes, player proficiencies (e.g, passing skills, outside or inside shooting skill levels, etc) do affect how effective each will be. But my opinion is that an even bigger effect on effectiveness is your players gaining experience with the sets you use. So while at a given college, I stick with the same set so that my sophs, juniors and seniors are pretty darned experienced with the sets. That tends not only to make them more proficient running the sets but also cuts down on turnovers.

I practice and employ 2 or 3 offensive sets, 2 half-court defensive sets (man-to-man and one of the zone D's), and one full court press defense.

Hopefully some others will comment here on which sets they prefer and why.
Dynasty Threads:
Fedora-CB;Town Crier-CB;FIve Friends/Foes-CB;Media Perspective-CB;Whatever It Takes-CB;Who's Bret Vandergard-CB;Gym Rat-CB;Repairman-CB;S. Mastroani-TPG;V. Stevenson-TPG
PointGuard
DDS:CB Support Squad

Postby Wayne23 » Wed Jul 20, 2022 9:51 am

I agree with PointGuard. I use two offensive sets, 2 half court D sets, and I press, devoting 15 minutes of practice time to my press.
Wayne23
DDS:CB Support Squad

Postby NCAAhoops » Thu Jul 21, 2022 9:28 am

Same for me. I stick with the same offense and defensive sets like PG so my lower class players are experienced running them when they become starters or heavily used subs. I try to recruit to the style I play unless there is a really good player that doesn't fit is real high on my team, I'll still take him and adjust which offense or defense he doesn't fit. For instance if he is weak Man to Man then I'll run more zone if his defensive match up is a stud offensively or change who he guards when playing out the game.
I usually run 2 offensive sets and for defense Man to man, 1 zone, and 1 press.
I feel messing with your style leaves you with a team without much experience with your sets and makes what appears to be a decent team look bad on the floor because they are not experienced in what your running. I only change my style if in January if I have a good recruiting class coming that would be better with a different set and my team is already not playing well by January. I make the change then figuring I don't have much to lose as the current season my team isn't going to the dance and if I am correct with my change then some of my current players returning next year will then have some experience in those sets and I have a influx of good players to help my roster. Has work well for me most of the time.
NCAAhoops

Return to DDS: College Basketball 2022 General Discussion