YOUR Mind Blowin' Ideas

Re: YOUR Mind Blowin' Ideas

Postby Bryan » Sun Aug 21, 2022 4:48 pm

It's been mentioned before but I don't know if recently. My real 'big idea' would be just to not have a pro basketball game and a college basketball game, but just one basketball game in which unifies them. Things like the international leagues could eventually go along with that. Coaches could move between the pros and college, or pull a David Blatt and go from overseas to the NBA or vice-versa. Same thing with players.

Is it a pipe dream? Absolutely. But still.
Bryan

Postby PointGuard » Sun Aug 21, 2022 7:18 pm

**tamps and ponders the pipe in my hands**

:rolleyes:
Dynasty Threads:
Fedora-CB;Town Crier-CB;FIve Friends/Foes-CB;Media Perspective-CB;Whatever It Takes-CB;Who's Bret Vandergard-CB;Gym Rat-CB;Repairman-CB;S. Mastroani-TPG;V. Stevenson-TPG
PointGuard
DDS:CB Support Squad

Postby alternativestats » Tue Aug 23, 2022 9:58 am

An add on to my idea about individual player training. Add a skill rating (similar to the college football game). This could tie in both the skill set of the position in general and the position in relation to the sets you are running. Also in regards to the individual training idea, when you are training certain sets your players get trained more in the skills that maximize that set. So while a Center might not normally work much on passing, if you are running a Princeton set, the center will focus more on improving that skill. Maybe this is tied to the percentage you have allotted in practice to each set.
alternativestats

Postby PointGuard » Tue Aug 23, 2022 11:51 am

I don't play the football games, so could you explain a little more what you want. In particular, what is meant by the 3rd sentence ("This could tie...are running").

Since most of us run 2 or 3 offensive sets (plus 3 zone offenses) and a couple defensive sets (plus at least one full court defense), just not sure how a "skill rating" would be applied to a player.
Dynasty Threads:
Fedora-CB;Town Crier-CB;FIve Friends/Foes-CB;Media Perspective-CB;Whatever It Takes-CB;Who's Bret Vandergard-CB;Gym Rat-CB;Repairman-CB;S. Mastroani-TPG;V. Stevenson-TPG
PointGuard

Postby alternativestats » Tue Aug 23, 2022 7:35 pm

In the football game every player has ratings for all skills. Some skills like speed, intelligence, and endurance are important to every position and others like arm strength and kicking accuracy are position specific and positions that don't need that skill might have ratings of one in those areas. My understanding of the "skill" rating is that it's a rating for how adept a player is at a certain position. Some players will only be skilled at one position like QB or Kicker. Others will be adept at multiple, like a player might have skill scores for Linebacker, Defensive End, and Safety.

When you train you assign points to four areas. Film study (which improves intelligence), Strength/Agility drills, Fitness/Endurance Drills, and "position drills" which are drills that specifically work on skills important to that player's assigned position.

So my thought was a similar feature in this game. Let's say you have two four star power forwards and to start them both you play one at center or small forward. With position drills the player you start at PF would work more on rebounding/blocking and post play, while your small forward might work more on ball handling, passing and shooting.

Then because in basketball the sets you run will change the optimal skills for some positions you might also have a set based skill rating. This would improve set specific skills like passing for Centers in the Princeton, or outside shooting for everyone if you run a five out... not sure it's practical from a programing standpoint but it would be a nice addition.
alternativestats

Postby PointGuard » Wed Aug 24, 2022 12:56 am

Ah, OK, bot it. Thanks
Dynasty Threads:
PointGuard

Postby Wayne23 » Thu Aug 25, 2022 3:17 pm

alternativestats wrote:In the football game every player has ratings for all skills. Some skills like speed, intelligence, and endurance are important to every position and others like arm strength and kicking accuracy are position specific and positions that don't need that skill might have ratings of one in those areas. My understanding of the "skill" rating is that it's a rating for how adept a player is at a certain position. Some players will only be skilled at one position like QB or Kicker. Others will be adept at multiple, like a player might have skill scores for Linebacker, Defensive End, and Safety.

When you train you assign points to four areas. Film study (which improves intelligence), Strength/Agility drills, Fitness/Endurance Drills, and "position drills" which are drills that specifically work on skills important to that player's assigned position.

So my thought was a similar feature in this game. Let's say you have two four star power forwards and to start them both you play one at center or small forward. With position drills the player you start at PF would work more on rebounding/blocking and post play, while your small forward might work more on ball handling, passing and shooting.

Then because in basketball the sets you run will change the optimal skills for some positions you might also have a set based skill rating. This would improve set specific skills like passing for Centers in the Princeton, or outside shooting for everyone if you run a five out... not sure it's practical from a programing standpoint but it would be a nice addition.

This kind of links with my long held belief that a head coach should be able to help players work on defensive skills. There's none of that in this game and I have always considered it a huge weakness.
Wayne23

Postby PointGuard » Thu Aug 25, 2022 8:29 pm

Got it!
Dynasty Threads:
PointGuard

Postby PointGuard » Mon Sep 12, 2022 8:25 pm

OK, Put all these together and submitted them all to Gary.

Thanks to those of you who submitted.

This thread is closed but if you have more suggestions/ideas, add them to the SUGGESTIONS FOR DDSCB2023 thread.
Dynasty Threads:
PointGuard

Previous

Return to DDS: College Basketball 2022 General Discussion