YOUR Mind Blowin' Ideas

Re: YOUR Mind Blowin' Ideas

Postby SirMichaelJordan » Mon Aug 15, 2022 8:54 pm

How about a player editor that translates stats into attributes? It would be great for creating databases from different periods. I remember the old game Fastbreak basketball having something similar.

In addition, how about an official editor where you would even be able to input histories (All time leading scorer in NCAA, etc.)

Also, how about an in-game tournament creator? (create a preseason tournament, would be a good way to add other tourneys or add your own team invitational)
SirMichaelJordan

Postby PointGuard » Mon Aug 15, 2022 10:14 pm

Good ones.
Dynasty Threads:
Fedora-CB;Town Crier-CB;FIve Friends/Foes-CB;Media Perspective-CB;Whatever It Takes-CB;Who's Bret Vandergard-CB;Gym Rat-CB;Repairman-CB;S. Mastroani-TPG;V. Stevenson-TPG
PointGuard
DDS:CB Support Squad

Postby Billdozer » Tue Aug 16, 2022 5:48 pm

1. Add more detail to the offensive sets.
What if percentages could be set within an offensive set for who often players at different positions pick and roll vs pick and pop. In addition there are some offenses that can have slightly different set-ups. For example Motion can be run as a 3 out 2 in or a 4 out 1 in.

2. Influence assistant coach skill improvement.
What if you could instruct assistant coaches how much to study recruiting, offense, defense, recruiting, and scouting? This could be similar to the team practice schedule but for assistant coaches.

3. Schools can apply to join a different conference
This could be a modern update to add realism

4. Be able to edit how many games are played in conference.
When conference movement is turned on right now teams moving conferences will often change how many conference games are played.

5 Be able to talk to players about their role and expected playing time for the current season and projection for next season.
Billdozer

Postby PointGuard » Tue Aug 16, 2022 8:04 pm

Interesting.
Dynasty Threads:
Fedora-CB;Town Crier-CB;FIve Friends/Foes-CB;Media Perspective-CB;Whatever It Takes-CB;Who's Bret Vandergard-CB;Gym Rat-CB;Repairman-CB;S. Mastroani-TPG;V. Stevenson-TPG
PointGuard

Postby 23Zone » Fri Aug 19, 2022 7:16 am

How about players asking to come out of the game when they are winded? I am always wondering when a players bar turns red if its time to take him out or he's still got some gas... I can't tell because his little player bubble seems to be moving around as well as it was before :)

What about referee reviews on disputed calls? Ball goes out of bounds and ref makes a decision who gets it. That might be a bit micro but it would add a little to the experience. You could also have some other events happen in game that involve refs or just other things that you see in a normal college game... like little altercations between players, when players get hurt it would be nice to see something about that, etc. It doesn't have to necessarily play out on the screen with the player bubbles just a pop up to tell you something happened and what the result was and maybe a decision for the coach to do something about it if necessary.
23Zone

Postby PointGuard » Fri Aug 19, 2022 1:39 pm

Keep 'em coming...time's winding down.

Be creative for some BIG ideas.
Dynasty Threads:
PointGuard

Postby PointGuard » Sat Aug 20, 2022 1:22 pm

[Copied from the Suggestions List thread]:

by Bryan » 20 Aug 2022 06:39

Returning after many years away, I have sort of a fresh perspective on the game, and I have a different perspective on games/design than I used to. With that in mind, I suggest in the strongest terms a major focus on the UI for the next version or two. I think this is more important than any feature additions; making DDSCB easier to use will result in fewer people who are willing to try it bouncing off of it. ( I think for a ne) Visually the interface looks much more attractive these days, so that's been excellent to see. It's more functionality/ease of use that I'm concerned with. My primary 'first re-impression' was that 'yep this is still a good game' but also 'I'm fighting the UI at every turn. I'm not so sure this game actually wants me to play it and enjoy it'.

Don't mean that at all to be rude, but it would be dishonest to be less direct about it. Examples I've run into in the first few hours:

- Sliders in the association setup for giving your coach ratings are slow to respond at best and it's very hard to set the number to what I want it to be.

- Things like save dialogs, changing your coach picture, and so on bring up a standard 'windows interface' that would be best removed. Using buttons to cycle through the list of pictures, a save/load dialog with visuals consistent to the ingame interface, etc. would be better. That last bit is more of an aesthetic and not functional, but still a good idea. Along with the that I would put elements like the minimize/maximize/close windows controls in the upper-right look tacky/out of place, the three lines in the upper left that you click to get to menu/save/options/credits are not intuitive IMO. I think it would be much better off with a icon for those broken out into the main display. Esp. for settings, maybe not room for all of them on smaller resolutions.

- It's not always clear what you can click on and what you can't. I saw this mentioned on other sites as an issue with the game fwiw. Looking at the player 'cards' on the Dashboard, needing to click on the player name and not on the photo or in the brief bio are below to bring up their detailed card was not at all apparent and doesn't make sense to me - you can't click on those other parts to go anywhere else, so why not just click anywhere in the whole area?

- I spent 10 minutes on the Depth screen, I know what it's trying to do, and I still can't figure out how to do some basic tasks. How to just remove a player from a time slot in the game - I can set them to a different position but there's no obvious way to just take them out. How to move a player from being a reserve to starting. There's nothing I can find to drag-drop or such that accomplishes this.

- When advancing through the summer, camp weeks requiring multiple clicks isn't optimal. When you arrive at those weeks, I would suggest running all the camps at the start of the week and giving the player the results, so you can just review the information and then advance to the next week. Otherwhise you just end up either ignoring the camps, or advancing an extra time to see the info, then making your recruiting choices, then advancing again ...

- When texting players, you need to do about 7 clicks to ask the basic questions. It would be far better IMO to just have options for that right on the screen where you've just click text. I.e. 'ask about these topics' Even better to just say 'always ask about family if you haven't already, always ask what they think about your school' and so on. The little blurbs they say get repetitive very quickly and I don't think add much.

- When there's only one option for a combo box, it should be autoselected. For example, when trying to have a meeting with the AD for scheduling. You have to select AD, but there's literally no other option. Just pick it automatically instead of making the player do it. Other similar situations are clicking Continue after an association is created (you have to do that anyway, so just eliminate the button and enter the association when it's done creating), the login popup for singleplayer is just a clickthrough that doesn't need to be there - you can change which coach is loaded after you get into the game if you want, when going to the Roster screen there are two options, ratings and bio, but neither one is picked so it just defaults to not showing anything which is another bit of unnecessary work for the player and the initial impression is actually that the game isn't functioning properly.

- I don't know what the reasons are behind the scenes, but the loading time to go between screens seems excessive.

- Clicking Advance to Buy Reports or Schedule Camps is counterintuitive. Let's just be able to click on where it says Buy Reports etc. and go that screen right away.

- Some screens require you to save such as practice time, others don't such as strategy. Doesn't seem to be a consistent approach here. I think consistency is important that so that users can feel they are quickly getting a grasp on how the interface works.

- I am befuddled at which screens are linked from the left-side controls, and which ones use the small icons at the top. Recruiting, Coach Assignments, Practice Time at the top; Almanac, History, School Info on the left which are not as commonly used I wouldn't think. Recruiting, Recruit Class, Recruit Ranks are nowhere near each other. The core format of 'go to any screen from any other screen' is an excellent adoption of modern UI techniques. But the specifics of the implementation leave me thinking 'wait ... what?' I think the Staff and Coach Assignments screens could easily be combined into one. The information they have is mostly redundant.

- The green action buttons being on the far right of the screens feels out of place as left is where most of the rest of the action is and where the user attention is pushed. 'Advance' on some screens, 'Play/Sim Games' on the Play/Sim screen, etc.

- Playing out games, everything there pretty much looks really sharp and excellent to me. I also could not sub a player in at dead ball situations to save my life. I followed the instructions but I think I don't know how to select a player, because no matter what I clicked on, then clicking the photo of the player I want to bring them in for did nothing. I think this is really a microcosm of what I'm referring to. I want to like how all of this works. Good options for controlling how the team plays. Matchups, crashing boards, 2-for-1, etc. I follow the action on the court. Ok, time to bring in a reserve ... well, I can't figure out how to do it. And if I can't figure it out, I guarantee there are a lot of other people who couldn't either.
Dynasty Threads:
PointGuard

Postby PointGuard » Sat Aug 20, 2022 7:26 pm

Create an optional version within DDSCB2023 that is for college basketball BEFORE the 3 point shot went into effect (pre April 2, 1986). That would allow CB players to run realistic associations that predate that change in the rules. Not only could fictional associations be run for the 50's 60's, 70's, ealry 80's, BUT...a modder could create a mod for great pre 1986 teams and teams with pre 1986 great players (e.g Bill Russell, Elgin Baylor, Oscar Robertson, Pistol Pete Marivich, Bill Walton, Larry Bird, Michael Jordan, Jerry Lucas, Jerry West, Elvin Hayes, Bob Pettit, Bob Cousy, Dolph Schayes, Paul Arizin, Wilt Chamberlain, Magic Johnson, etc, etc.

That would be one helluva fun mod to play.
Dynasty Threads:
PointGuard

Postby cbraddy » Sun Aug 21, 2022 9:08 am

I think it would be cool if you’re doing a journeyman save, and you leave for a new school, the recruits can go with you. Didn’t something like Arkansas maybe? Majority of the team left when the coach did?

More storyline type things. Like for example rivalry’s with other head coaches, teams can make new rivals, recruits being brothers or cousins. Even take it a step farther and have dad/sons. Even maybe assistant coaches having sons like MPJ going to Missouri because of his dad.
cbraddy

Postby PointGuard » Sun Aug 21, 2022 2:19 pm

Interesting ideas.
Dynasty Threads:
PointGuard

PreviousNext

Return to DDS: College Basketball 2022 General Discussion