Call to Action

Re: Call to Action

Postby slybelle1 » Thu Nov 24, 2022 4:36 am

Far from perfect, but was able to use the smart objects as I thought, just a matter of fine tuning a little bit more, but conceptually seems like it will work. After I completed the base smart object, I then just needed to drop the court image into the object and everything changed automatically. This is using a court image from the web, not hand drawn. Assuming I can find the court images for all teams, it likely would take me little time to complete all the NBA courts. Obviously college tougher because of the amount of them and probably can't use pre-existing court images since they likely don't exist like they do for the NBA. At least for my purposes, this will suffice for me, even if not perfect:)

slybelle1
Elite Member

Postby Haiku » Thu Nov 24, 2022 12:05 pm

slybelle1 wrote:Far from perfect, but was able to use the smart objects as I thought, just a matter of fine tuning a little bit more, but conceptually seems like it will work. After I completed the base smart object, I then just needed to drop the court image into the object and everything changed automatically. This is using a court image from the web, not hand drawn. Assuming I can find the court images for all teams, it likely would take me little time to complete all the NBA courts. Obviously college tougher because of the amount of them and probably can't use pre-existing court images since they likely don't exist like they do for the NBA. At least for my purposes, this will suffice for me, even if not perfect:)

Looks good!

https://lockervision.nba.com/ has all core designs, unfortunately they are in low res.
Haiku

Postby NCAAhoops » Thu Nov 24, 2022 12:21 pm

Looks good enough to me!
I'll try the Photoshop objects if it lays the perspective without much manual adjusting that will save a lot of time. The current college courts in the mod don't work as they are too small and degrade quickly trying to resize out to the new size.
But I agree taking a flat overview court even if I have to make it myself and and then lay into the template at the correct perspective seems to be the best way to go so you don't have to do every item on the court separately as that's just too time consuming.
I'll play around with Photoshop some more and the see if my program can do the same thing.
Thanks I feel a little better now.
NCAAhoops

Postby slybelle1 » Thu Nov 24, 2022 12:26 pm

NCAAhoops wrote:Looks good enough to me!
I'll try the Photoshop objects if it lays the perspective without much manual adjusting that will save a lot of time. The current college courts in the mod don't work as they are too small and degrade quickly trying to resize out to the new size.
But I agree taking a flat overview court even if I have to make it myself and and then lay into the template at the correct perspective seems to be the best way to go so you don't have to do every item on the court separately.
Thanks I feel a little better now.

Yep, definitely works for sure and I think it will be totally workable. I do recommend using the smart objects (at least for the floor and scorer table) as they do save a lot of time and you can apply a transform perspective against it. Then within the object itself, you simply put the court (or create) in the normal 2D mode. When you close the object, everything snaps into place. Some of the courts you may need to manually adjust afterwards depending on the art by the hoops, but hopefully not too much.

Good luck!
slybelle1
Elite Member

Postby slybelle1 » Thu Nov 24, 2022 12:28 pm

Haiku wrote:
slybelle1 wrote:Far from perfect, but was able to use the smart objects as I thought, just a matter of fine tuning a little bit more, but conceptually seems like it will work. After I completed the base smart object, I then just needed to drop the court image into the object and everything changed automatically. This is using a court image from the web, not hand drawn. Assuming I can find the court images for all teams, it likely would take me little time to complete all the NBA courts. Obviously college tougher because of the amount of them and probably can't use pre-existing court images since they likely don't exist like they do for the NBA. At least for my purposes, this will suffice for me, even if not perfect:)

Looks good!

https://lockervision.nba.com/ has all core designs, unfortunately they are in low res.

Thanks, never knew about that site but as you pointed out, not really usable for this purpose because of the low-res, but more importantly the size of the images are too small and would require stretching which wouldn't look great. There aren't many sources for pre-built courts (with right size) so I plan to get whatever I can and it won't necessarily be the team's latest and greatest designs. I simply don't have the time (and skill) to hand make each one myself.
slybelle1
Elite Member

Postby jlemmen43 » Thu Nov 24, 2022 1:49 pm

The price we pay for upgraded 2D action lol
jlemmen43

Postby Haiku » Thu Nov 24, 2022 7:16 pm

slybelle1 wrote:Thanks, never knew about that site but as you pointed out, not really usable for this purpose because of the low-res, but more importantly the size of the images are too small and would require stretching which wouldn't look great. There aren't many sources for pre-built courts (with right size) so I plan to get whatever I can and it won't necessarily be the team's latest and greatest designs. I simply don't have the time (and skill) to hand make each one myself.

Slybelle, I just sent you PM. Thanks
Haiku

Postby NCAAhoops » Fri Nov 25, 2022 9:11 am

Sly, Figured it out last night. A little different for me as I had to read the manual to duplicate your object method. Objects are not the same as in photoshop. But I can paste the court into a selection. I have to have the template court showing, then create a perspective selection of the template court and then paste a copy of the overhead view court into that selection. Works well with some small adjusting. I tried 2 different courts that were 2 different sizes and both worked. I assume the adjusting was due to the different court sizes, but still much, much faster so this is the method I'm going to go with. Also will be easier for the courts I can't find and have to make manually as I can make them overhead and use the method above to put into the template.
Glad we can bounce ideas here to get going. Always good to get different perspectives (pun intended).
NCAAhoops

Postby slybelle1 » Fri Nov 25, 2022 9:56 am

NCAAhoops wrote:Sly, Figured it out last night. A little different for me as I had to read the manual to duplicate your object method. Objects are not the same as in photoshop. But I can paste the court into a selection. I have to have the template court showing, then create a perspective selection of the template court and then paste a copy of the overhead view court into that selection. Works well with some small adjusting. I tried 2 different courts that were 2 different sizes and both worked. I assume the adjusting was due to the different court sizes, but still much, much faster so this is the method I'm going to go with. Also will be easier for the courts I can't find and have to make manually as I can make them overhead and use the method above to put into the template.
Glad we can bounce ideas here to get going. Always good to get different perspectives (pun intended).

Excellent, when you get time, post a sample of what you cam up with, always nice to see other designs.
slybelle1
Elite Member

Postby NCAAhoops » Fri Nov 25, 2022 9:25 pm

Will do. I will be traveling back home Sunday as I am in Florida on my laptop for Thanksgiving with family. Once I get home I'll make one on my computer there with a much larger monitor to work on. Probably Tuesday or Wednesday I'll get one posted.
NCAAhoops

PreviousNext

Return to DDS: College Basketball 2022 General Discussion