Run by Committee

Run by Committee

Postby KW77 » Sun Nov 13, 2022 3:58 pm

Is Run By Committee working properly in CF23 and PF23?

in 22, I could get my first and second RBs on the depth chart to equally split offensive touches using the RB by Committee check box. That no longer seems to work at all, with the starter getting the vast majority of the touches, and the Offensive Backup RB getting a few scraps when the starter gets tired.

In CF, i often have huge rotations of RBs (4+) and cycle through them regularly, this has become mostly impossible, especially given that we've lost one offensive package to work with.

Please take a look for both games, as it happens in PF23 as well. Guessing it has to do with the newly implemented substitution system.
KW77

Re: Run by Committee

Postby brooks_piggott » Sun Nov 13, 2022 4:47 pm

No, the committee checkbox doesn't really do anything anymore since you set up rotations by using your packages.
brooks_piggott

Postby KW77 » Mon Nov 14, 2022 11:08 am

Brooks_Piggott wrote:No, the committee checkbox doesn't really do anything anymore since you set up rotations by using your packages.

can that be changed? We now have one less package that can be used during the regular rotation unless someone gets exhausted

if you don't want to fix committee, at least expand the number of packages. 4 really isn't enough in many cases
KW77

Postby rmoons24 » Mon Nov 14, 2022 11:12 am

I wholeheartedly agree with KW. The new substitution logic in the game is awful. Players hardly ever rotate at any positions, and RBs regularly are getting 40+ carries a game. This is one change from 22 that feels totally unnecessary and frankly a step backwards.
rmoons24

Postby brooks_piggott » Mon Nov 14, 2022 11:54 am

The checkbox is still there, but all it does at this point is create 2 packages and do a 50/50 split on them to get both RB used. But this is also adjusted by coach personalities, etc.

The overwhelming complaint was that the AI was overriding what people wanted to do with their packages. The updated version solves this problem by putting it back on the user to set up the way they want. If you want 40 carries a game for your RB, go for it. If you want a 20/20 split, that should work as well if you set up the % in your packages and set the substitution thresholds. Every team is going to have different setups since they have different RB with varying endurance, and different levels of game plan and aggressiveness. If you run all the time, and have high thresholds you'll get the 40 carries, but they won't be particularly effective carries.

If you're noticing the AI is making bad decisions on setting up your team let me know the settings, players, and scenario and I can look at tweaking it.

And for this version we won't be expanding packages. We feel 4 is reasonable for now and there are technical challenges with expanding without breaking backwards compatibility. We suggest using one package as a main starters package, then one for forced rotation purposes (either RB/WR, or DL/DE), then you have 2 packages left over for game planning purposes... such as a goal line package, or other formation specific deployments or desired matchup tweaks for a given week.
brooks_piggott

Postby KW77 » Mon Nov 14, 2022 1:04 pm

Brooks_Piggott wrote:The checkbox is still there, but all it does at this point is create 2 packages and do a 50/50 split on them to get both RB used. But this is also adjusted by coach personalities, etc.

right, but what I'm saying is it's not working like that.

In past versions I could use two packages to split RB touches 4 ways

Package 1
RB1: Player A
RB2: Player B

Package 2:
RB1: Player C
RB2: Player D

and four RBs would receive 10-15 carries a game using a 50/50 split in the strategy tab + RB by Committee.

If I do that exact same setup in 23, Player A and Player C will get 20-25 carries each, Player B and Player D just see whatever Wishbone plays I've got in there, and the RB1 of the backup package gets a few reps.

--

This is a separate discussion, but the whole substitution was a great idea in principle but isn't actually giving us more control over anything. If anything, it's a step back from 22.
KW77

Postby brooks_piggott » Mon Nov 14, 2022 9:54 pm

It can still kind of work that way if you set your energy thresholds lower so the backups in your depth chart play more. It won't split them evenly like we had before, but will get you closer. You may have A/C with 60% of the carries and B/D with 40% depending on those thresholds and how the plays are called.

I don't think we ever envisioned teams running a complete split of 4 starting RB... I've seen primary backs, backup backs, wishbone backs, third down backs, goal line backs, pass catching backs, etc. but I don't think I've seen an even split 4 back rotation.

I suppose worst case you create 4 packages and set a different back to a starter for each... but you're right in that case you probably won't have enough packages for all the other wrinkles you want to add. You'll have to prioritize your use cases.
brooks_piggott

Return to DDS: College Football 2023 General Discussion