A Few Questions on Recruiting

A Few Questions on Recruiting

Postby servo75 » Sun Aug 06, 2023 12:37 am

A few questions on the recruiting side
1. When a player says prefers close to home, what is meant by "close to home"? Same state? Adjoining states? Is it a gradient? For example if my team is in WA and a player values close to home, is it very meaningful for WA, less for OR, ID. A bit less for MT, WY, UT, etc.? Does pipeline matter?

2. An important aspect is matching my team's strengths to the talking point points. How do I figure where my team's strengths are? Location I mentioned above. Is my market big? Is my organization good? Can I talk on academics, how do I know if they're strong, does that just go by academic spending? WHat about prestige, is that team and conference prestige?

3. What do the green dots next to the talking points mean?

4. When in scouting or recruiting I see something like Bonus 5 points to recruiting, does that mean extra recruiting dollars?
servo75

Re: A Few Questions on Recruiting

Postby AKH » Sun Aug 06, 2023 3:38 am

1. It goes by actual lat/long distance for his hometown to your school. (there is a filter in recruiting)

2. Market is based in your conference prestige, organisation is your prestige+coaches+recent results. Academics are mostly used by lower schools whose recruits dont expect to go pro, so most top recruits do not care about that as much. Prestige is team prestige.

3. those are the ones that 'hit' last sim, i.e. those that gave you a bonus.

4. No, these points are added directly on the recruit behind the scenes.
AKH

Postby servo75 » Sun Aug 06, 2023 8:20 pm

Thank you for clearing that up.

So with close to home I'd have to see if that recruit is within the 500, 700, 1000 mile limits, and it would be a gradient from there, then go back to the recruiting screen?

For market, the Mountain West is a mid-prestige conference so I would figure limit that to 1 or 2 talking points?

For the academics, I'm coaching a low-to-average prestige school, recruiting mostly 3-star players. I would assume from your response that if it's a 4 or 5 star, it's pointless to put talking points on academics because it's moot. But lower-stars, on the whole, would be more receptive? And would I also assume that since I'm an average prestige school, my academic credentials are somewhere in the middle, i.e. most attractive to 2,3 stars?

I guess a request I'd put in is if there were an easier way to display what my program's strengths and weaknesses are. Winning and prestige are pretty obvious, the rest maybe not so much. If I remember from the NCAA series, there was a red-to-green bar showing how we matched what the athlete is looking for.
servo75

Postby AKH » Mon Aug 07, 2023 8:03 am

1. yeah, the idea would be to sort recruiting targets first, and then look at the player cards on the list. But its a good idea to just add the distance between school and home directly on the player card as well. Ill see if I can get that in for first access.

2. Whether you should pour points into it would depend on whether the player cares about marketsize first, and then on if you conference has good prestige. In general look at the players personality to determine which talking points he cares about and then look at your team and see if thats something you are good at (compared to his level, i.e. 5star recruits have a higher floor for what amount of prestige they find 'impressive'/'attractive' than 1 star recruits.)

3. That is about right yes.

4. A 'matchmaking meter' of sorts is not a bad idea. Ill see if I can come up with something for first access (no promises).
AKH

Return to DDS: College Football 2023 General Discussion