Road to MVP - Players Perspective - Instant Purchase

Road to MVP - Players Perspective - Instant Purchase

Postby dave1927p » Fri Sep 23, 2022 5:25 pm

While reading the features the moment I saw controlling a player from their perspective I immediately purchased the game without reading any further. I am very excited for this type of mode, and hope that it offers lots of depth and options in time.

A few requests:
- taking control of multiple players from their perspective, not just one.
- fast simulation of career with control of major decisions: While many people will like to micro manage the player and hopefully the mode gains that depth in time, I would like to be able to simulate entire careers and make major decisions on their behalf only while observing their development (free agency, contract negotiations for example).
- making a short career being a bust or regular NFLer being just as entertaining as a career as a MVP.
- taking over any player from a draft pool later in the game world

Adding a player agent mode one day would be great too, but I'm very excited for this mode and hope it doesn't turn into a grind like EAs Be A Pro.
dave1927p

Re: Road to MVP - Players Perspective - Instant Purchase

Postby Gabe778 » Tue Sep 27, 2022 8:11 pm

Where do you see new features?
Gabe778

Postby brooks_piggott » Thu Oct 06, 2022 5:26 pm

dave1927p wrote:While reading the features the moment I saw controlling a player from their perspective I immediately purchased the game without reading any further. I am very excited for this type of mode, and hope that it offers lots of depth and options in time.

A few requests:
- taking control of multiple players from their perspective, not just one.
- fast simulation of career with control of major decisions: While many people will like to micro manage the player and hopefully the mode gains that depth in time, I would like to be able to simulate entire careers and make major decisions on their behalf only while observing their development (free agency, contract negotiations for example).
- making a short career being a bust or regular NFLer being just as entertaining as a career as a MVP.
- taking over any player from a draft pool later in the game world

Adding a player agent mode one day would be great too, but I'm very excited for this mode and hope it doesn't turn into a grind like EAs Be A Pro.

The Road to MVP mode is going to be enabled in an upcoming update for First Access. I would love some more feedback on the feature so we can make sure we're going in the right direction. We'll still have some time in first access to tweak things.
brooks_piggott

Postby Gabe778 » Fri Oct 07, 2022 12:35 am

Kind of sped ran a career, it was pretty fun! Especially me as a 42 year old trying to hold on to my career, a few things I'd like to see/have thoughts on

Request a trade
Option to retire? (dont know if this is somewhere and I am missing it) Maybe I wanna retire early and start up a new guy or even just convert to coaching
More press options, maybe even just hold a press conference after games and such, maybe to talk about rumors and whatnot
Option to negotiate during the season/FA for contracts
Gabe778

Postby brooks_piggott » Fri Oct 07, 2022 11:50 am

I intentionally did not include retiring since at that point your career is done and the game would end. In future versions we may be able to drop your player in as a coach and see if they get hired and turn on certain coach related actions, but that won't be in PF23.

Requesting a trade, press conferences, etc. are all things we can look at... probably not for PF23, but we can definitely add them to the list.
brooks_piggott

Postby JDB » Fri Oct 07, 2022 11:50 am

Any plans to eventually incorporate the college game into this? Start out as a college recruit, select a school, play out a college career, try to get drafted and then transition to a pro career?
JDB

Postby brooks_piggott » Fri Oct 07, 2022 11:54 am

JDB wrote:Any plans to eventually incorporate the college game into this? Start out as a college recruit, select a school, play out a college career, try to get drafted and then transition to a pro career?

I think that is definitely an option... we'll have to look at future versions and see if we can link the two together.
brooks_piggott

Postby dave1927p » Sat Oct 08, 2022 3:41 pm

a few immediate thoughts after playing the mode. The lack of retirement is an issue as it feels like there is never any closure.

EDIT: One of the biggest issues in this mode is that after you play out some careers a few times it all feels very similar. Below will add some variety to the mode in time:

- get drafted by a team based on the abilities you select (could be a first rounder, 7th rounder or go undrafted).
- more interaction with coaches and team mates. Your role on the team being more of a factor: Being a practice squad or battling team mates for the starting role having more of an emphasis.
- find yourself in the bad books of your coach ...be it as a result of bad performance, poor chemistry with them or their playbook, fighting with teammates to name a few.
- get traded to another team and demand a trade.
- if your player is a seasoned vet and future HOF, perhaps a cool feature would be have ability to "influence" free agent signings or draft picks. As in the head coach asks for your suggestion...careful with this one though.
- A contracts screen where you negotiate your contract. Currently if you reject all offers there becomes a point when no one offers you anything and you are stuck sitting the entire season out. Show where your player stands in the depth chart and emphasize what teams are weak in your position
- ability to approach teams for a tryout if you are a free agent.
- as someone mentioned being able to retire so it feels like there's some type of closure. Get inducted into the Hall of Fame.
- Allow the ability to create a new player or take one over in any draft once you retire your own player
- Allow the ability to control multiple players (I think it would be fun to control multiple players and take an "Agent Mode" approach to their careers)
- Add player agents and dynamics involved with your player interactions there.
- add more buttons to speed up the offseason and streamline it. (Skip all staff signings together as hitting the mouse 10 times when there's nothing to do here is tedious)
- show your team recap on free agent signings and how specifically it impacts your player as well as draft. Have interactions based on that. If you are the QB and your team drafts a QB in the first round for example could create some drama and excitement in gameplay.
dave1927p

Postby Gabe778 » Sun Oct 09, 2022 7:39 pm

There’s a few reasons I wanted the ability to retire.

- So I can see if I made it to the hall of fame, that’s the whole point of playing right, to see if you made it?
- Also because I want to see how good the team I was on fares without me, maybe I’ll unretire if I see them struggling and I think I could help them (the ability to request a contract/workout with a team while you’re a free agent or mid season FA offers for teams that have say an injury in that position would be amazing.)
- Also to see if any of my records get broken!

Plus the off season can use some flavor. Outside of contracts being offered in free agency there’s no reason for it, or at least the ability for us to skip it entirely. Maybe adding stuff like doing private workouts with your receivers or other teams receivers, studying the playbook, make there being new coaches mean something to the players. New system? Every player has to learn the playbook. So maybe the starter is lazy and he only has 60% playbook knowledge and the backup has 100% so maybe the backup would perform better because he studied and works harder for it.
Gabe778

Postby Ruthian23 » Sun Oct 09, 2022 11:10 pm

I wish more sports sims included this kind of mode, so I'm happy to hear this will be in the game. I'm wondering what features actually ARE in it, though. It sounds like there's a lot that's not (which is to be expected, as it's the first one it has been in), but I'm just wondering what the experience is like as of right now.
Ruthian23

Next

Return to DDS: Pro Football 2023 FirstAccess