Developer long term goals

Developer long term goals

Postby RaidersFan65 » Thu Nov 03, 2022 9:47 am

Just wanted to ask the developers what their long term vision of this game is.

When I first started playing this game, I was basically looking for a replacement for FOF. Since that game's developer has 'retired' from upgrading the game, I wanted a similar management games with upgraded features and regular updating. Looked great at first. LOVED the fact that you could create your own playbook. Found ways to dominate the game, so much so that no multiplayer league wanted to use the full game. I was part of the First Access of 2022, and personally disliked some of the changes. I feel like there's no long term vision. Instead of upgrading what you have, you keep adding pieces that should be part of a different game. Some will say that you aren't taking away from the base game, but you are. You're taking away developer time on upgrading the basic game and building a bunch of new games within the game.

My personal opinion (and I understand I'm just 1 of thousands of players of this game) is that you should split this into two games. The base game, which is, and should continue to be, a management simulation game. Then the alternate game has all these new game modes (basically new games). Then, if your long term vision is more like the crap that has become Madden... you have a game to take that direction... but still have the base game which is how you built the core group of players that you have and are slowly losing. This way, you have the gamut of players that you seen to be catering to, and you can keep them all.

Remember the old parable about the dog with the bone seeing himself in the lake. He's greedy, so he tries to grab the bone from the dog he sees in the water, and loses his bone to the illusion of another dog. This is where I see this game going, and I really hope you all see this.
RaidersFan65

Re: Developer long term goals

Postby AKH » Thu Nov 03, 2022 10:13 am

Please see reply here: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=35458&p=240610#p240610

Also: How would splitting it into 2 games avoid taking time from the things you want us to focus on, unless more devs are hired?
AKH

Re: Developer long term goals

Postby brooks_piggott » Thu Nov 03, 2022 10:45 am

Long term vision is still the same. We spend most of our time working on community driven requests... I'd say at least 50% of what we do is based on feedback or ideas coming from you guys. And a lot of time the feedback is applicable to both CF and PF. 40% of our dev time is stuff we want to implement, whether it's updated UI, improved performance, new features (anyone tried importing records yet?), and not to mention all of our support time on tickets, forum discussions, etc. The remaining 10% is fun stuff for us... either new modes we want to explore going forward, or fun wrinkles to the game that personally interest us. It's still our game after all, so if we can't work on stuff we're passionate about then we may as well give it up.

I'm happy with how the releases turn out. And I'm happy with where our focus is and the amount of time we're spending on features.

I think we can close the book on these complaints about MVP mode. Months of work on revamping ai movement, formations, energy and packages and substitutions, and only a week or two on upgrading MVP mode seems fair to me.
brooks_piggott

Return to DDS: Pro Football 2023 General Discussion