Assorted questions

Assorted questions

Postby Handicapper General » Sat May 13, 2023 2:03 pm

Hi folks,

I posted this in 2018's forum but didn't get a reply. I'm hoping 2023 is similar enough. Our online league commish is partial to 2018, but if it turns out 2023 has functionality for these questions that 2018 doesn't, that would sway him.

1. Our FAs don't seem to sign until after the draft largely - is there something that can be done to get them to sign pre draft?
2. Our players don't seem to progress or regress much. What they start with is what they pretty much continue to be. Is there a way to enable some sort of development and age related decline?
3. In that same vein, we have superstar players call it quits way early - like at 30. Is there a setting to prolong careers?
4. And in terms of the draft, is there a Fog of War type option where GMs don't really know what they're getting leading to more busts and steals?

Thanks!
Handicapper General

Re: Assorted questions

Postby AKH » Sat May 13, 2023 4:45 pm

tbh I cant really remember the differences 5 versions back :)

but FA has certainly been tweaked, there is now a setting where you can turn progression up and down, retirement has also been tweaked, there is some FOW as well certainly.

I recommend just getting the demo for 23 and see for yourself :)
AKH

Postby Handicapper General » Tue May 16, 2023 10:33 pm

Back again!

I've been playing around - but I have a question. Due to the fact a lot of our GMs won't have the game, we want to mitigate the staff as much as possible. We're far more interested in more of a roster management situation - so is there a way to even the playing field and negate any advantages with staff? There's very little desire to get into game plans and such from our GMs and they'd love it if basically coaches were put on some sort of intelligent auto pilot. Our GMs basically want to sign, cut, trade, draft, and set depth charts.

Thanks!
Handicapper General

Postby brooks_piggott » Wed May 17, 2023 9:38 am

You can sort of get there by disallowing custom playbooks and custom plays. And the AI coaches will set default game plans, etc. But you can't disable the coaching/game plan aspect completely.
brooks_piggott

Postby Handicapper General » Wed May 17, 2023 1:22 pm

brooks_piggott wrote:You can sort of get there by disallowing custom playbooks and custom plays. And the AI coaches will set default game plans, etc. But you can't disable the coaching/game plan aspect completely.

Thanks Brooks! Thinking about it, I guess in general we want to be simple (we do baseball leagues on OOTP 6.5 if that means anything), would some of the real old versions kind of fit better?
Handicapper General

Postby brooks_piggott » Wed May 17, 2023 6:41 pm

PF18 had coaches and game plans and playbooks and strategy as well so I assume your player base is used to a certain amount of management.

By PF23 we've just expanded on all of it and added a lot of other features to the game. So there may be some additional effort for your users. But you also get a lot more for that effort, with additional reports, screens, information, better game results, mod support, etc.

But in the end if you're happy with PF18 and don't need/want all the new stuff then certainly continue to enjoy what you're already doing.
brooks_piggott

Postby Handicapper General » Wed May 17, 2023 11:18 pm

brooks_piggott wrote:PF18 had coaches and game plans and playbooks and strategy as well so I assume your player base is used to a certain amount of management.

By PF23 we've just expanded on all of it and added a lot of other features to the game. So there may be some additional effort for your users. But you also get a lot more for that effort, with additional reports, screens, information, better game results, mod support, etc.

But in the end if you're happy with PF18 and don't need/want all the new stuff then certainly continue to enjoy what you're already doing.

Interesting - the users are not doing much of anything with coaches, so that may be causing a lot of disconnect. Most everyone sends "manual" changes off the html reports. I'm trying to sell the league runner on moving - he hasn't had time to try out 23 yet, and I'm having trouble putting into words having more control over certain things so these exchanges certainly help.
Handicapper General

Return to DDS: Pro Football 2023 General Discussion