Scouting Points Question

Scouting Points Question

Postby servo75 » Sun Oct 01, 2023 9:12 pm

I hope this question becomes moot with the release of 2024 (I hope it turns out to be more like College 2024), but there's something that puzzles me about how scouting points are assigned. From the support page, I read this:
"The prior knowledge is manifested in terms of 'free' scouting points that are already on the player, so if you go to a drafteeprofile, you will see a scout report with a varying amount of certainty... When you scout a player it then autoassigns scout points equal to the difference between the free points from your prior knowledge and 20. "

So this explains something where I thought higher projected players just inherently cost less because more info would be out about them in general. So that differential from 20 can, I assume, vary from team to team, with coaches with higher scout ratings being a higher number, thus lower cost to scout a player.

Here's where the rubber hits the road, though. The problem I have with the current system is that all scouting happens in only one sim, you either "interview" or not, "scout" or not, and I'll have 50 or so players where I have 75-90% certainty, and 250 players with no certainty. I think there should be more gradation than that, where scouting should be season long like it is in the College game, you slowly find out information and put more into some players than others. Maybe to fully scout a player requires 20 points but you can assign less if you need less certainty, just like in college. A well-scouted player with a good scouting coach you'll know 90-95% certainty, whereas someone less scouted might be 30-60%, etc. But in real life, I feel that any pro scout is going to know SOMETHING about all draft eligible players, through combine and expert evaluations of tape, so that the default should probably be higher than 1. Maybe it should start at 10, with better coaches starting up higher. Or if your OC has 3 stars for scouting and DC has 2 stars, offensive players may start at 10 but defensive players start at 5. Something like that. From there, make ALL players cost 20 points but the pre-knowledge manifests itself in more coaching points up front instead of as a discount. If I have 5 points worth of prior knowledge for 20 players, then all players would still cost 20 but I'll have 100 more points up front. But I really think (and I HATE to use Madden as a positive example) that we should take a page from the old Madden scouting system where you get x points to assign per week (use it or lose it) and slowly reveal info, personality, maybe even exact ratings if scouted well enough.

EDIT: I'm at scouting phase in two online leagues. One I have $0.7M for scouting and got 600 points. Another I have $2.9M for scouting and 510 points and the latter has better scout ratings. SO I don't understand where that formula comes from.

My other question is, how is the number of scouting points determined? Is it determined JUST by the $ budgeted to scouting or are there other factors? Should a team get bonus points for having better-scouting coaches, so that maybe they all cost 10-20, but the scouting bonus comes up front not on the back end, i.e. more total points.
servo75

Return to DDS: Pro Football 2023 General Discussion