Request HTML

Request HTML

Postby Cleasby » Wed Oct 26, 2022 3:38 pm

Would it be possible to review the HTML for mobile as part of the first access work?

Still appears to be the same as last year with logos not showing. There is multiple instances of details being squashed to multiple lines to fit the column width, (players names, height, weight, star rating).

Most multiplayer leagues use the HTML as a tool for GMs to access key data on the move and mobile when they are unable to access the game. So streamlining the HTML for this use would be invaluable.
Cleasby

Re: Request HTML

Postby Gary Gorski » Thu Oct 27, 2022 2:49 pm

The only reason the logos should not show is if they are in the wrong place on the website where they are being hosted.

The responsiveness of the page is a different story. That is not something I plan on devoting time to at this point however if someone wanted to create a mobile responsive HTML design and output I would certainly be willing to work with them to get it implemented at some point.
Gary Gorski
WS Development

Postby Cleasby » Mon Oct 31, 2022 3:29 pm

That is a real shame as the prior HTML whilst basic was perfect for multiplayer leagues and any device format.

Some example from a range of mobile devices simply show how unworkable the current HTML format is:

You can see the details are all over the place and dont snap to the correct size. In particular the player html pages simply do not function with the overlapping.

For comparison see the DDSPF html page for a player

I understand that HTML building is not the main aim of a sports game but for multiplayer leagues where you want information at your fingertips the current set-up of the pages do not work.

Could we at least revert back to the HTML pages from several versions ago or allow the user the option to revert back to this? So we can at least have a functioning set of HTML pages to use?
Cleasby

Postby KW77 » Tue Nov 01, 2022 10:35 am

more examples:

these were from 22, which I requested to have fixed but they were not
KW77

Postby emplep7 » Tue Nov 01, 2022 11:12 am

I'd agree with this change. With MP leagues, a lot of GMs use their mobile platform as their primary way to look into each game and this has been a hardship since our league transitioned to DDS22 (compared to DDS19). Any way that we can make this game more mobile friendly would be a great addition IMO, but the HTML being adjusted would be great!
emplep7

Postby Gary Gorski » Tue Nov 01, 2022 1:00 pm

It is not that I do not understand what is being asked - if you view the sites on a normal browser they look fine but they do not on mobile. I get that. The pages were designed to be viewed as they are in the game. What I am saying is that from my standpoint doing the work to make the HTML pages mobile responsive is very low on the priority list because the MP side is not used much to my knowledge so putting in multiple hours to try and redevelop that does not make sense. We have not had one league ask to be a featured league for DDSPB and there is no MP league content that gets shared on Twitter with our account or that I see from Twitch or YouTube so I am personally unaware of there being much of a MP community for the game. If you follow us on Twitter you see we are always retweeting MP leagues (or even solo dynasties that tag us).

If that is not true and there really is this large contingent of MP leagues out there where redeveloping this would actually benefit a significant amount of people then that is a different story. If there really are all these people out here playing in MP leagues I would encourage the commissioners and leagues to be more active in the social channels of Twitter, YouTube, Twitch - even Facebook and Instagram. That would not only serve to encourage me to spend more time on the MP side of the game but also would be good for the leagues themselves as it would draw interest for potential new participants.

As I said, if someone wants to develop actual HTML code that will be mobile responsive I am happy to add that in. I am no expert in HTML - if there is like one line of code you add and it becomes mobile responsive then I would gladly do that but I am assuming it is going to take either a rewrite of the code or at least significant work. I do not know if the old HTML code would still work but I can look at that - if it does I could put that as an option.
Gary Gorski
WS Development

Postby KW77 » Tue Nov 01, 2022 1:29 pm

i will tweet it at you then
KW77

Postby Gary Gorski » Tue Nov 01, 2022 3:26 pm

Per the OPs request I have added an option to use an "Alternate HTML" format which will produce the old version HTML so you will have your choice of either format with the next build.
Gary Gorski
WS Development

Postby KW77 » Tue Nov 01, 2022 3:40 pm

thanks, will the stats page have the same info as what is given in PB22/23?
KW77

Postby Gary Gorski » Tue Nov 01, 2022 4:36 pm

The output will be exactly the same as it was in whatever the last version that used that format was
Gary Gorski
WS Development

Return to DDS: Pro Basketball 2023 FirstAccess