Game Editor

Game Editor

Postby Murburto » Sat Jul 08, 2023 1:19 pm

I think the game needs a universal in-game editor. Just something simple and quick so everyone can play the way they like and adjust player ratings. I get the concept the game intended, but it is just more fun when guys advance, and you know why players are declining. Both my top-rated players declined 2 stars in one season, but none of my young players advanced at all after getting solid playing time. My GM is almost maxed out but every player I draft that is ranked 3 stars is dropped to 1.5 or 2 stars after a draft them. I am won a championship based upon free agency signings. And way too many 3-0 playoffs series that are loss 4-3. Nobody ever comes back from 3-0 deficits, but I watched it happen twice the past 2 seasons. I hate complaining, but some of the problems can be solved with an easy in-game editor. Way too many dominate centers (under 7ft too) and power forwards. The game should adjust ratings for human players the same way it does for the CPU.
Murburto

Re: Game Editor

Postby Gary Gorski » Wed Jul 12, 2023 11:04 am

Well an in game editor already exists - if you click where your name is in the upper right corner you can change to commissioner mode. On that screen you will see an option to edit players and you can edit them to be whatever you want if that is what you want to do.

As for player declines players never decline in the game unless there is a reason (either age or a significant injury) - they don't just randomly decline. Potential may change or what you are shown may change based on you and your staff's ongoing evaluation of younger players so you might be seeing some scouting error. Also player development is not only a function of playing time but also the ability of the head coach (mostly) to develop players and the work ethic of the player himself. If you are using dynamic ratings the ratings you see will change based upon the current perception of a player so its more like a media view. For example a player might have been just a role player on one team but ends up signing with a bad team, gets to start and suddenly starts putting up good looking stats. In that case his displayed ratings will change because now he looks like a much better player when in reality he's still the same player with the same ratings but in a better opportunity.

As for coming back from 3-0 just because it hasn't happened doesn't mean it won't or can't. The Celtics almost did it this year. People would have complaints in DDSCB when a 16 would beat a 1 and then it finally happened. The game doesn't really factor in the "human element" - do teams just give up down 3-0? Maybe. Does the team up 3-0 not take game 4 seriously and that lets the other team get at least one win? Maybe. It's certainly not impossible to win 4 games in a row - there have been lots of 4-0 sweeps in the NBA playoffs a couple of them even where the lower seed has done the sweeping so its plenty common that a team wins 4 in a row and sometimes not even the "better" team is the one doing it. Even one injury could cause a team to lose when it was winning.
Gary Gorski
WS Development

Re: Game Editor

Postby Murburto » Sat Jul 22, 2023 5:54 am

I get that. I was only making a point of how many times 0-3 comebacks are happening. The fact it almost happened once, and I've seen it 4 times in 11 seasons was just a little alarming. Thanks for the reply.
Murburto

Return to DDS: Pro Basketball 2023 General Discussion