Conference Standings - Tiebreakers

Conference Standings - Tiebreakers

Postby BKL » Sun Mar 05, 2023 12:12 am

In the standings page when there are more than two teams tied - which can happen often - it seems that the tiebreaker for 3+ tied teams is random. With a two-way tie it seems to be head-to-head. Can we have tiebreakers for three-way or more be something meaningful, like ranking, or NET figure, or point differential, or some stats so it doesn't just seem like a random selection? This can make a difference for a team qualifying or seeding in Conference tournament.
BKL

Re: Conference Standings - Tiebreakers

Postby jlemmen43 » Mon Mar 06, 2023 11:51 am

I second this
jlemmen43

Postby blazertaz13 » Mon Mar 06, 2023 1:38 pm

Here is the Pac 12 tie breaker in the case noted above:

MULTIPLE-TEAM TIE

a. Results (won-lost percentage) of collective head-to-head competition during the regular season among the tied teams.

b. If more than two teams are still tied, each of the tied team’s record (won-lost percentage) vs. the team common opponent occupying the highest position in the final regular season standings, and then continuing down through common opponents in the standings, eliminating tied teams common opponents with inferior records until one team gains an advantage.
When arriving at another group of tied teams while comparing records, use each team’s record (won-lost percentage) against the collective tied teams common opponents as a group (prior to that group’s own tie-breaking procedure), rather than the performance against individual tied teams common opponents.
After one team has an advantage and is seeded, all remaining teams in the multiple-team tie-breaker will repeat the multiple-team tie-breaking procedure. When the multiple-team tie is reduced to two teams, the two-team tie-breaking procedures will be applied.

c. Winning percentage against all Division I opponents.

d. Coin toss conducted by the Commissioner or designee.
blazertaz13

Postby BKL » Tue Mar 07, 2023 12:33 am

Well, I don't care if it follows the exact college rules, but I would like some reasonable logic, as many conferences have 3-way ties. So it would stink not to get in to the conference tournament by some random unknown element.
BKL

Postby blazertaz13 » Tue Mar 07, 2023 11:42 am

BKL wrote:Well, I don't care if it follows the exact college rules, but I would like some reasonable logic, as many conferences have 3-way ties. So it would stink not to get in to the conference tournament by some random unknown element.

I get it, but I figured I would add what at least one conference does if it helps in changing the current game logic (assuming that it already doesn't use something similar).
blazertaz13

Postby BKL » Tue Mar 07, 2023 10:19 pm

Yes - agreed. Hopefully there will be a fix or logic, whatever it is will be better. I’m mean you go all through a season and the standings are kind I pretty important. A 3-way tie isn’t unusual so it shouldn’t be ignored or overlooked at this point.
BKL

Postby BKL » Sat Mar 11, 2023 4:05 pm

Was this ever fixed?
BKL

Postby BKL » Sat Mar 11, 2023 7:20 pm

So, unfortunately, it does not appear that the standings for 3+ way ties has been changed. If three or more teams are tied in the conference, it just seems like a random determination for who gets in/out or seeded.
BKL

Return to DDS: College Basketball 2023 FirstAccess