Seeding in tournament

Seeding in tournament

Postby bb3 » Tue Mar 21, 2023 4:11 pm

I was wondering if anyone else has noticed seeding seems sometimes unrealistic for the NCAA tournament? I’m currently using the NDSU bison and I won the Summit league tournament which obviously is an automatic bid. I went 23-10 with 11-7 conference record and I got an 11 seed. That to me seems kinda high comparing that Oral Roberts also apart of the Summit League went 30-5 (18-0 in conference play) in real life this year and only received a 12 seed. I also noticed that Oral Roberts in my league still made the tournament as a 10 seed after finishing 21-10 and getting booted 2nd round of conference tournament and that would never happen in real life. There’s multiple instances I’ve noticed Mid-Major conferences are receiving more than just one bid for the tournament and that’s rarely seen for most of them. ACC, Big 10, Big 12, AAC, SEC, Big East, A-10, MWC, PAC-12, WCC are the only conferences that Ive seen consistently get bids without conference tournament wins. Not saying it could never happen but a lot these Mid-Major teams need to beat some good competition to even be considered to go the tournament without a conference championship. I know it’s just a game but maybe there is someway to tweak how bids are given out and how Mid-Major teams are weighted compared to bigger conferences?
bb3

Re: Seeding in tournament

Postby rmoons24 » Tue Mar 21, 2023 4:36 pm

I have seen multiple Power Conference Champs get 15 and 16 seeds too. I think the game needs to factor conference prestige into seeding much more, in its current state there are quite a few 5/6/7s that are one bid conference champs and then 14/15/16s that are Major Conference Champs.
rmoons24

Postby Gary Gorski » Wed Mar 22, 2023 11:40 am

If you have a file where it is seeding power conference champions as a 15 or 16 I would love to see it and review it. Instructions on sending in game files are in the HELP section of the game. Is it like an instance where some 5-25 team won the power conference tournament or something?

The seeding does take into account conference strength but it also relies on the NET system. In the OP post did Oral Roberts have some quad 1 wins during the season or something? Yes I would say they would not belong if they did not have any strong wins though. I will look into it but if anyone has files with examples I would be glad to look at them.
Gary Gorski
WS Development

Postby bb3 » Wed Mar 22, 2023 12:57 pm

I guess I forgot to check there quad 1 wins that season. I'm looking at my current season and there's multiple teams in the Summit League with quad 1 wins but those teams they beat are in the Summit League also which seems odd to me having multiple teams in this low prestige mid-major conference having multiple teams even qualify for a quad 1 consideration.
bb3

Postby bb3 » Wed Mar 22, 2023 1:24 pm

I'm noticing towards the end of the season that maybe strength of schedule isn't considered very much? I'm not sure what all the factors are but one good example I see is Oral Roberts is ranked 17 in NET with only 1 Quad 1 win and the majority of their games are Quad 3-4 teams. While Seton Hall is ranked 22 in NET with 4 Quad 1 wins and over half of their games being against Quad 1-2 teams. That's just one team and the more I look into it I see teams with more Quad 1 wins and more games against Quad 1-2 teams with records similar to Oral Roberts.
bb3

Postby RGSchulzy16 » Wed Mar 22, 2023 11:14 pm

bb3 wrote:I'm noticing towards the end of the season that maybe strength of schedule isn't considered very much? I'm not sure what all the factors are but one good example I see is Oral Roberts is ranked 17 in NET with only 1 Quad 1 win and the majority of their games are Quad 3-4 teams. While Seton Hall is ranked 22 in NET with 4 Quad 1 wins and over half of their games being against Quad 1-2 teams. That's just one team and the more I look into it I see teams with more Quad 1 wins and more games against Quad 1-2 teams with records similar to Oral Roberts.

That is still quite possible. Net is a sorting tool based on game by game results starting at 0-0 Look at Utah State in real life lack of quad 1 wins compared to power schools but ended up like 18th. Even Kansas 17 quad 1 wins doesn't mean they are first in the net
RGSchulzy16

Postby rmoons24 » Fri Mar 24, 2023 4:20 pm

Gary Gorski wrote:If you have a file where it is seeding power conference champions as a 15 or 16 I would love to see it and review it. Instructions on sending in game files are in the HELP section of the game. Is it like an instance where some 5-25 team won the power conference tournament or something?

The seeding does take into account conference strength but it also relies on the NET system. In the OP post did Oral Roberts have some quad 1 wins during the season or something? Yes I would say they would not belong if they did not have any strong wins though. I will look into it but if anyone has files with examples I would be glad to look at them.

It was an 18 win Villanova team as a 15, a 15 win Syracuse team as a 16, and a 15 win Utah team as a 15 over the course of 7 seasons now. In 2021, Georgetown got a 12 seed at 13-13 on the year for reference
rmoons24

Postby grahoben » Fri Mar 24, 2023 5:36 pm

This is part of why I'd love the ability to manually select teams/update seedings. I know it has to be super complicated to code the game in a way to replicate the selection committee (especially when the real-life committee makes questionable decisions most years), so it would be nice to be able to manually make adjustments when something odd like a last place power conference team wins their tournament.
grahoben

Postby jlemmen43 » Fri Mar 24, 2023 9:07 pm

I would love this for Sandbox/Universe Mode. I mean it's not integral to my experience, but definitely adds to the way I play the game. I remember when OOTP made the Manual Hall of Fame voting option and when FBCB added the ability to create and modify pre-season tourneys, non-conf schedules and if a player is turning pro or not. Those types of options make me giddy lol. So whatever gets added in that realm (as long as it's an option), I'm down for.
jlemmen43

Return to DDS: College Basketball 2023 General Discussion