How to run the "Carolina offense" in this game

How to run the "Carolina offense" in this game

Postby SteveVictory » Sun Mar 26, 2023 1:17 pm

Hey all, I've been a UNC hoops fan forever and have always loved the way Dean Smith and Roy Williams approached what is known as the "Carolina Offense":

-- play up-tempo and try to cram as many possessions into a game as possible, scoring in the 80s and 90s
-- employ the traditional two big-men approach
-- use something they called the "secondary break" in transition to keep pressure on the defense
-- try to dominate the offensive boards

I don't know how many times, a team would score on Carolina and by the time you turned around the Heels were already on the other end of the floor getting a dunk or layup. I loved it! (And as an aside, I miss it in this new age of college basketball).

Anyways, how would one replicate the "Carolina offense" in this game? Obviously play up tempo and use crash offensive boards but what sets would mimic the two big-men approach? Motion? Flex?

Thanks!! Enjoying this game....
SteveVictory

Re: How to run the "Carolina offense" in this game

Postby SteveVictory » Sun Mar 26, 2023 1:19 pm

I just found this on BreakthroughBasketball.com. Maybe motion is the best approach:

"While it might not be the first, Dean Smith's motion offense, which he ran so effectively for years at North Carolina, is considered the Cadillac of motion offenses. Coach Smith more accurately describes it as a "passing game". It is a free form offense with no pre-determined cuts, no set pattern. Players read the defense and react to what they are given.

The passing game can be run out of any set but eventually works into a 1-3-1 set, preferably with a point guard, 2 shooters and 2 post players. The perimeter players have to be skilled ball handlers, the post players must be good screeners and be able to pass from the high post and score from the low post."
SteveVictory

Postby zekeroberts » Sun Mar 26, 2023 4:55 pm

Along with high offensive pace, I would think you would want to LOWER your defensive crash boards setting. That way you'll get out and run more, but there's always the trade off with giving up more offensive rebounds...
zekeroberts

Postby SalukiFin » Sun Mar 26, 2023 5:25 pm

To confirm, my fast break points always increased with lower defensive crash boards. Offensive crash boards obviously helps with earning second chance attempts but makes you more susceptible to giving up fast breaks which I can also confirm to be working properly in game.
SalukiFin

Return to DDS: College Basketball 2023 General Discussion