I lost to Colorado in the SWEET 16!!

I lost to Colorado in the SWEET 16!!

Postby Stragum5! » Thu Apr 06, 2023 10:11 am

Seriously?? Colorado??

My first year Crimson Tide finishes the season at 30-7!!
We'll be defending SEC Tournament Champions next season.

Enjoying the game!!
Stragum5!

Re: I lost to Colorado in the SWEET 16!!

Postby NCAAhoops » Thu Apr 06, 2023 10:57 am

Sound like this years tournament re-lived in DDSCB. Small teams rising to the occasion.
NCAAhoops

Postby jlemmen43 » Thu Apr 06, 2023 3:26 pm

I'm assuming that the general unpredictability, and even the diminished dominance by powerhouse programs this year, can be attributed to the Transfer Portal?
jlemmen43

Postby NCAAhoops » Thu Apr 06, 2023 8:12 pm

Possibly NIL at the big programs where a couple of guys make millions and others don't even get a phone call. I don't think that makes for a cohesive locker room. Not saying all programs, but I believe it effected a few of them. I watched a team this year often where one player made 3 million dollars and the point guard would not pass him the ball, even when he was wide open jumping up and down for the ball. The point guard was eventually benched and now in the transfer portal.
And of course the portal has had an effect too. Seems like teams with Juniors and Seniors starting are doing better than the powerhouse one and done freshman teams also. It appears to me to be several things happening changing the face of NCAA basketball. I also believe this is why you are seeing big name coaches retiring. Kind of like what Notre Dame said, "Big money is being paid to some players under disguise of NIL while the NCAA just sits in their offices. It's not fair to the small teams that cannot do that, but I also get the kids should get some of the money the NCAA brings in. Just not sure what the answer is to fix it now that the can has been opened.
NCAAhoops

Postby jlemmen43 » Thu Apr 06, 2023 9:15 pm

Hmm very interesting!

I think it makes the game more interesting to have a mid-major (SDSU) and midish-major (FAU) making the final 4. Plus there was another #16 and #15 seeds taken out. I believe UConn was a KenPom #1 at some point late in this season too, so it seems the best teams are still winning for the most part but there's some parity coming.

I kinda agree with Tom Izzo's stance on the transfer portal. I'm all for players being able to choose where they wanna go and also be able to make money...but at the same time, many are never paying the price for making a poor choice on where to play or getting out-played for their spot in the lineup. Even in the NBA, you go through a rookie contract so that you EARN the right to choose where you wanna sign.

And the corrosion of College B-Ball being a team sport, seems to be linked to and/or furthered by the NIL. Very interesting times.
jlemmen43

Postby Gary Gorski » Sat Apr 08, 2023 5:31 pm

I agree with that assessment as well - there are legitimate reasons for a player to transfer. Maybe he doesn't like the area and is homesick, maybe just turns out the coach wasn't who he thought he was or he really hates someone on the team or whatever but there are way too many guys transferring just because they think the grass is greener somewhere else. It really has turned into a terrible version of free agency where the player holds all the cards and absolutely is not teaching these guys anything about adversity and hard work.
Gary Gorski
WS Development

Return to DDS: College Basketball 2023 General Discussion