Playoffs

Playoffs

Postby mh2365 » Wed Aug 16, 2023 1:05 pm

This bugged me with the last version also

higher seed in the playoffs should always be the home team ....
mh2365

Re: Playoffs

Postby brooks_piggott » Wed Aug 16, 2023 6:40 pm

Right now it uses a tiebreaker system so the home team should be the conference champion or the team with the most wins, which isn't always the higher ranked team. Probably need to get more feedback from other folks... but if more people want this change I should be able to do it.
brooks_piggott

Postby alternativestats » Thu Aug 17, 2023 9:26 am

Another potential change I'd like to see in a future addition is ability to change how playoff teams are chosen. For a 16 team format I'd like to set it to include every conference champion and then have the remaining slots filled by rankings basically how the NCAA basketball tournament works.
alternativestats

Postby brooks_piggott » Thu Aug 17, 2023 1:36 pm

You can already do this... there is a checkbox for whether a conference champion is automatically added to the playoff teams.
brooks_piggott

Postby mh2365 » Fri Aug 18, 2023 2:45 pm

if I do a 12 team playoff they are seeded 1-12 ... the higher seed should always be the "home" team in the playoffs ... they aren't planning on reseeding the 12 team playoffs as they go ... easy fix, higher seed is the home team
mh2365

Postby slybelle1 » Fri Aug 18, 2023 4:12 pm

Dumb question, aren't playoff games played on a neutral field? Is there really a HOME team besides for the sake of positioning on scoreboard and team colors? Within the bowls.xml file that also contains playoff information where you tell it which field to play and at least in my real world mod I have them at neutral sites. Or does the game give the perceived HOME team some kind of advantage even if not playing at their home field? If that is the case, wouldn't the need be more about removing any kind of home field advantage (and ensuring playing at neutral field) if in a playoff game instead of changing how a home team gets assigned? Probably me just not understanding.
slybelle1
Elite Member

Postby brooks_piggott » Fri Aug 18, 2023 4:24 pm

I thought I removed all home field advantage and the above request was just for cosmetic reasons. I think I did the tiebreaker since it seemed odd for a conference champion to be the away if they get matched up against someone in their own conference, or for teams who won a head to head matchup getting set as the away team.
brooks_piggott

Postby slybelle1 » Fri Aug 18, 2023 5:20 pm

brooks_piggott wrote:I thought I removed all home field advantage and the above request was just for cosmetic reasons. I think I did the tiebreaker since it seemed odd for a conference champion to be the away if they get matched up against someone in their own conference, or for teams who won a head to head matchup getting set as the away team.

Gotcha, so being considered the home team in the playoffs would just impact their placement on the scoreboard and team color type stuff.

With that in mind, not sure I have a strong opinion for cosmetic reasons so whatever the majority decides is fine with me...keep as is or change based on seeding.
slybelle1
Elite Member

Postby mh2365 » Fri Aug 18, 2023 5:46 pm

brooks_piggott wrote:I thought I removed all home field advantage and the above request was just for cosmetic reasons. I think I did the tiebreaker since it seemed odd for a conference champion to be the away if they get matched up against someone in their own conference, or for teams who won a head to head matchup getting set as the away team.

100% cosmetic .... just bugs the daylights out of me

current title game in a 12 team playoff

1. seed 15-0 (conference champ) is the road team against the 6 seed 13-2 (didn't play in conference title game)
mh2365

Return to DDS: College Football 2024 FirstAccess