Watch Highlights seems broken

Watch Highlights seems broken

Postby servo75 » Tue Oct 10, 2023 11:35 pm

This has been something I've noticed since last year, I've seen people get frustrated with it in College 2023 in videos though I personally have not used Highlights much. But it's either badly buggy or I'm confused on how to use it. I went through one game of highlights and took notes, maybe that will explain. I used that Baltimore @ Las Vegas playoff game as an example:

* Go to highlight, press play. 1st 11:35, Baltimore gets a TD run. Then pause and I see a blank field. It now says Qtr1-2:04 so I’m guessing there’s another replay there, but nothing’s happening. I’m not sure whether we have to explicitly click Next or if it should take us automatically. My suspicion is that we have to manually advance if it’s between quarters, but that doesn’t apply here.
* Pressing play again only shows the score and still a blank field but with LOS and 1st down lines. Score is now Baltimore 7-3 so I guess LV got a FG in the meantime. Okay…
* So I hit next, and again, blank field, scores are blank, times are blank. Press Play. A play happens with Baltimore getting another TD. 14-3. I do nothing and the field goes blank again. Hit pause and play and the score is updated to 14-6 so Vegas got another FG. We’re now at Qtr3-14:15
* Incidentally why do scores and clock disappear in the middle of a play, I can’t see what the old score was before the play.
* Click next and play brings up another blank screen. Can’t tell where we are in the game or what the score is. But I’ll press play. Shows Baltimore getting a first down, 3-Q 5:50.
* Then it immediately shows another play, Baltimore TD at 3Q-2:55. So NOW it auto-advances? Blackbirds up 20-9
* Screen goes blank but clock DOES show, advanced to 3Q-0:47. The field markers show 3rd and goal from the 5 but no play is happening. Press pause and play. Shows same time but score 20-15. Can’t tell what play just happened, what the score was before or after.
* Then I notice the Next button is blanked out meaning that was the last highlights.
* In addition, some highlights get cut off in the middle of the play.
* Sometimes I've seen games go into overtime with no highlights past end of regulation.

So you hopefully see the problem? It’s not clear at all whether we’re supposed to press Next to advance, though sometimes it advances anyway, sometimes it doesn’t, sometimes we’re presented with a blank field and advance on the clock but no play. Press Next and Play the clock advances again (what happened to that last replay?) but no play. Then I manually click play and the play happens, and actually goes to another play right away. Then comes the blank screen again. Sorry to say this but it is a mess. Maybe I’m viewing highlights wrong but this is either a giant bug or confusion on my part.
servo75

Re: Watch Highlights seems broken

Postby brooks_piggott » Wed Oct 11, 2023 9:11 pm

Clicking play starts the highlight reel and will auto advance through them all. If you hit pause and play it will reset the current play, but if there were animations or waits still being evaluated it could cause odd behavior. Next should just skip the current play and move to the next play, but again, it may work better to hit next, and then wait a couple seconds for any existing timers to go though and then you can hit play again.

The score hides until the play resolves so you can't just look at the score and see what happens.

Best option I can come up with is to just remove all of the buttons and start the highlight reel. But as long as you aren't over-clicking it should work. Could be some plays are included in highlights that we need to remove though if things are locking up.
brooks_piggott

Return to DDS: Pro Football 2024 FirstAccess