Playoffs Unfortunately Still Broken

Playoffs Unfortunately Still Broken

Postby servo75 » Tue Oct 10, 2023 11:49 pm

Went through a test league (this is still with the original build but our sim league noticed this in 2023 last year)

Final NFC Standings

San Fran 15-1
Washington 13-3
Detroit 12-4
New Orleans 8-8
Dallas 12-4
Minnesota 12-4
Philadelphia 11-5

Looks like the seeding and the initial matchups were correct, Philadelphia @ Washington, Minnesota @ Detroit, Dallas @ NO
Philly won on the road, Detroit and New Orleans took care of business. This leaves SF, Det, NO, Phi

In the real NFL the divisionals would re-seed, so it should be lowest remain vs. highest remain, so Phi@SF and NO@Det.

What we have instead, is a bracket system which the NFL does not use (maybe they should, but…)
The bracket was 7@2 plays winner of 6@3, and 5@4 plays #1
So as a result, it was Philly vs. Detroit and New Orleans vs. San Francisco.

But it gets worse…

For some reason, Philadelphia (11-5) had the HOME game instead of Detroit (12-4). I can't figure out how this can happen. Because Detroit had the better record so even if you were just re-applying tiebreakers it still should have come out Detroit at home

In summary, we should have: Philadelpha @ SanFran , New Orleans @ Detroit
WHAT WE GOT: Detroit @ Philadelphia, New Orleans @ San Fran

This caused a lot of consternation in my Sim league last time and it appears the playoffs are still not re-seeding correctly. I understand there are different rules for different league structures, but the NFL should work the way the NFL works. The toughest thing to me is the seeding, tiebreakers, and initial playoff matchups. All those were correct in this case.
But the setup of the second round is all wrong. Wrong teams, wrong location

Unacceptable.

Incidentally, I haven't gone this far yet but it would be nice if the Super Bowl (upon league options) can be played at a neutral site with each team's end zone on one side.
Last edited by servo75 on Wed Oct 11, 2023 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
servo75

Re: Playoffs Unfortunately Still Broken

Postby zac » Wed Oct 11, 2023 9:29 am

Just going to add that in my testing, WITH the re-seeding option turned on, the playoffs re-seeding seemed to have worked. This was 5 minutes of testing so maybe missed something. Also have not tested default settings (re-seeding turned off) so maybe that is not working as needed.
zac

Postby brooks_piggott » Wed Oct 11, 2023 11:00 am

By default the game uses the bracket system after initial seeds are set. If you want NFL style seeding you have to turn on the re-seed option, which now follows initial seeds versus reapplying tie breakers. I thought I also applied the correct home team as well, but if I missed a matchup let me know.
brooks_piggott

Postby servo75 » Wed Oct 11, 2023 2:57 pm

Thanks for replying Brooks!

I can't attach the image here, but just like I described, #7 Philadelphia won their wild-card game and played #4 Detroit in the divisionals, but Philadelphia was home. I did not have re-seeding turned on, so @Zac, when we make the switch to 2024, I'm hoping that will solve it. I will re-try with re-seeding turned on. So in that case the only real bug is the home/away thing. I can send you the save file if you'd like. I can't imagine how even under the old rules that would happen.

One addendum, I mentioned the highlights earlier... that Detroit-Philly game. Philly won it 38-35 but the last highlight ended with the game tied at 35-35. I went out to the Play/Sim screen and could see there was no OT, so went back and watched the whole game, seeing that Philly won. I knew Detroit's last drive would fail, because there was no overtime column. The play/sim screen will show an OT column if the game goes to overtime, even if scores are hidden.
servo75

Return to DDS: Pro Football 2024 FirstAccess