Undrafted FAs

Undrafted FAs

Postby hawglaw » Wed Feb 07, 2024 1:06 pm

I assume everyone else is getting what I am getting... It is not realistic that undrafted rookie FAs are demanding 14M a year when you try to fill the back end of your roster after the draft. I understand that my scouts have deemed them to be pretty good (not sure why that did not occur in the draft, but ok), but they shouldn't demand more than the 1st overall pick is getting. I have an undrafted rookie QB who is 76 overall who is demanding 13,8M a year. The number one overall pick is getting 9.8M a year. I don't expect to be able to lowball a good player like that, but shouldn't they at least be masked as low overall players since that was how they were presumably viewed in the draft. Your scouts should be the one to tell you that this guy has a lot of potential or is overlooked. Even then, he would not be demanding anywhere near that kind of money.
hawglaw

Re: Undrafted FAs

Postby brooks_piggott » Wed Feb 07, 2024 7:42 pm

It's all based on how you set up your financials. If you want Free Agents to ask for less money you'd have to turn down the minimum ranges for that grouping and position.

Once they hit FA the game just treats them like anyone else at that OVR level. They do adjust their requests based on experience, so 1st year players do tend to give a discount, but otherwise all 76 rated QB's are going to tend to know their market ranges and ask accordingly.
brooks_piggott

Postby hawglaw » Thu Feb 08, 2024 2:35 pm

Thanks for the response. However, you have to agree that an undrafted rookie FA will never demand that kind of money in real life. I understand that his overall is fairly good, but that just doesn't magically happen right after the draft. You sign a guy that your scouts think might have something and he blossoms in your system. I am thinking about Kurt Warner and Tony Romo. There is no one that ever did it the way that the game emulates.
hawglaw

Postby brooks_piggott » Thu Feb 08, 2024 8:33 pm

That concept works well if you had hidden attributes where the owners and the players had no idea what the ratings were. But in this case they know the QB is a 76, and the QB knows he's a 76, so he wants to be paid like all the other 76's (or close to it... there are adjustments in there). It makes it so the FA wire isn't just a place to grab cheap talent that fell through the cracks. And it's magnified because of the huge values of QB specifically. If the ratings for a 76 were 2-4 mil instead of 14 mil I doubt this would even be an issue. In some cases we try to closely emulate real life, and in others we adjust it to suit the game experience. And we set up configuration options so you can feel free to further adjust it.
brooks_piggott

Postby DirigoJoe » Thu Feb 22, 2024 6:27 pm

hawglaw wrote:I assume everyone else is getting what I am getting... It is not realistic that undrafted rookie FAs are demanding 14M a year when you try to fill the back end of your roster after the draft. I understand that my scouts have deemed them to be pretty good (not sure why that did not occur in the draft, but ok), but they shouldn't demand more than the 1st overall pick is getting. I have an undrafted rookie QB who is 76 overall who is demanding 13,8M a year. The number one overall pick is getting 9.8M a year. I don't expect to be able to lowball a good player like that, but shouldn't they at least be masked as low overall players since that was how they were presumably viewed in the draft. Your scouts should be the one to tell you that this guy has a lot of potential or is overlooked. Even then, he would not be demanding anywhere near that kind of money.

You're 100% right. FA in this version of the game is completely screwed up. No amount of people trying to explain it away or make excuses will change that. This is BROKEN.
DirigoJoe

Return to DDS: Pro Football 2024 General Discussion