Quality of players in long term sim..

Quality of players in long term sim..

Postby Habsfan18 » Sun Mar 10, 2024 12:36 pm

Hello,

I’ve been playing DDS Pro Basketball for many years now, and I enjoy simulating 20-30 years into the future to get to the point where the league is filled entirely with players that are generated by the game itself. From that point on I enjoy watching the future fictional NBA unfold as a spectator.

I have noticed however that this year’s version appears to be generating lower quality players overall compared to other years. By 2045, in my save, there is only one 5-star player in the entire NBA. There are a handful of 4 and 4.5 star players, and quite a few 3 and 3.5 star players. So it seems like the game is doing a good job of generating NBA quality starters, but it seems to be generating star level players at a much lower rare than before. Maybe this is by design, as of course we don’t want the game world filled with a ton of 5 star players, but I’d still like to see more stars and superstars being drafted.

For about 10 consecutive game generated draft classes, I haven’t seen more than maybe 2 or 3 five-star potential prospects being drafted. Many of the top 10 picks in each draft class are only 2 or 3 star potential players. And again of course not every high pick ends up being a star level player in real life, but it’s quite unrealistic to see the game view a player who was just drafted 5th overall as having only 2.5 star potential.

Has anyone else noticed a decline in game generated players this version? Scoring seems to be down as well, and I’m wondering if this has to do with the overall quality of draft classes being created long-term. Maybe 10-12 players in my save are scoring at or above 20ppg each season. This is obviously a far cry from the real life scoring rates.

It’s sort of ruining the immersion for me. I could be alone in this. Still love the game!
Habsfan18

Re: Quality of players in long term sim..

Postby Habsfan18 » Sun Mar 10, 2024 2:50 pm

And to be clear, when I mentioned the previous 10 generated draft classes, only two prospects with five-star potential was generated altogether. NOT each season.
Habsfan18

Postby NCAAhoops » Sun Mar 10, 2024 5:40 pm

You might want to submit a ticket to Gary as he posted in the College game forums he was going to update the Pro Game recruits imports from the new college game. Maybe he can take a look at your file and make adjustments for game generated as well while he is at it.
NCAAhoops

Postby C-Bailey24 » Sun Mar 10, 2024 8:05 pm

Habsfan18 wrote:Hello,

I’ve been playing DDS Pro Basketball for many years now, and I enjoy simulating 20-30 years into the future to get to the point where the league is filled entirely with players that are generated by the game itself. From that point on I enjoy watching the future fictional NBA unfold as a spectator.

I have noticed however that this year’s version appears to be generating lower quality players overall compared to other years. By 2045, in my save, there is only one 5-star player in the entire NBA. There are a handful of 4 and 4.5 star players, and quite a few 3 and 3.5 star players. So it seems like the game is doing a good job of generating NBA quality starters, but it seems to be generating star level players at a much lower rare than before. Maybe this is by design, as of course we don’t want the game world filled with a ton of 5 star players, but I’d still like to see more stars and superstars being drafted.

For about 10 consecutive game generated draft classes, I haven’t seen more than maybe 2 or 3 five-star potential prospects being drafted. Many of the top 10 picks in each draft class are only 2 or 3 star potential players. And again of course not every high pick ends up being a star level player in real life, but it’s quite unrealistic to see the game view a player who was just drafted 5th overall as having only 2.5 star potential.

Has anyone else noticed a decline in game generated players this version? Scoring seems to be down as well, and I’m wondering if this has to do with the overall quality of draft classes being created long-term. Maybe 10-12 players in my save are scoring at or above 20ppg each season. This is obviously a far cry from the real life scoring rates.

It’s sort of ruining the immersion for me. I could be alone in this. Still love the game!

This has been my experience also. I never play with the real rosters but the decline is the same. The initial generated rosters are pretty good but as you stated the drafts just dont quite cut it. It's even a little worse when you link a CB league. The shooting ratings tend to be low. Rarely are they're any elite passers, shooters, rebounders ratings wise as the league goes on. When I say elite I mean 85 and up on the 100 scale. I could understand if shooting ratings could be improved through training but they seem to stay fairly stagnant which has always kind of confused me. Stuff like this does sort of affect the immersion level
C-Bailey24

Postby NCAAhoops » Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:33 pm

Looks like the update was posted today. Not sure if you guys sent in your files and it's part of the update or not.
NCAAhoops

Postby abziani » Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:50 pm

Man...thanks for simulating so many seasons. What about the RPG? Are there players averaging mopre than 10 RPG? What abpout PPG?
Every time I simulate some seasons the number of players with more than 30 PPG and 10 RPG is very few.
abziani

Postby C-Bailey24 » Tue Mar 12, 2024 11:04 am

NCAAhoops wrote:Looks like the update was posted today. Not sure if you guys sent in your files and it's part of the update or not.

I believe the update addresses an issue someone was having where the import was getting stuck and not going through not the quality of players etc
C-Bailey24

Postby Gary Gorski » Tue Mar 12, 2024 11:31 am

The PB update addressed making the game accept the CB24 import files. I am looking at actual issues of the players coming into the files next to see if something needs to be improved there.

I would be very curious to look at your game files from 10 years in and see what the actual potentials are of players in the league - its possible they could use a boost or its possible they are generated properly and not hitting their potentials. I will also run a long term sim and see what kind of results I see to see if its possibly just a string of unlucky draft class generations.
Gary Gorski
WS Development

Postby Habsfan18 » Tue Mar 12, 2024 6:48 pm

abziani wrote:Man...thanks for simulating so many seasons. What about the RPG? Are there players averaging mopre than 10 RPG? What abpout PPG?
Every time I simulate some seasons the number of players with more than 30 PPG and 10 RPG is very few.

I just simulated the 2046 NBA season. Six players averaged at least 10 RPG. Only one was over 10.7, and that was the leader at 11.4.

14 players in the NBA averaged more than 20 PPG, and 5 players averaged between 18 and 19. So 19 players total in the entire NBA averaged 18PPG or higher. Going a little bit further, 23 players total in the NBA averaged 17 PPG or higher.

Only 5 players in the NBA averaged 25 or more.

Only 5 guards in the entire NBA averaged more than 17 PPG. 5 centers averaged more than 17, and 13 forwards to take that total up to the 23 mentioned above.

These results are fairly consistent to what I'm seeing each season.

In the real life NBA, there are currently over 40 players averaging more than 20PPG! So 40 vs about 10-15 in my game world.
Habsfan18

Postby Habsfan18 » Tue Mar 12, 2024 7:00 pm

Gary Gorski wrote:The PB update addressed making the game accept the CB24 import files. I am looking at actual issues of the players coming into the files next to see if something needs to be improved there.

I would be very curious to look at your game files from 10 years in and see what the actual potentials are of players in the league - its possible they could use a boost or its possible they are generated properly and not hitting their potentials. I will also run a long term sim and see what kind of results I see to see if its possibly just a string of unlucky draft class generations.

I'm in 2046 now, but I'll send my files momentarily. This most recent draft class was better than the past few - there's actually a 5 star potential prospect which has been very rare in my file. But draft classes as a whole haven't appeared all that strong for me.

As you'll see, at the start of the 2046-2047 NBA season, there are only 2 players in the entire NBA who are 5 star players.

Thanks, Gary!
Habsfan18

Next

Return to DDS: Pro Basketball 2024 General Discussion