How to Sign my own RFAs in Free Agency?

How to Sign my own RFAs in Free Agency?

Postby cmw2clemson » Fri Mar 15, 2024 3:07 pm

Hello,

I have 2 players on my team who are not happy and therefore not wanting to take a new contract offer.
However, since they both are RFAs I was planning to just go to free agency, let them sign with whoever, and then match the offer to keep them on my team.
In the "Contracts" page, "Contracts Help" says, "Restricted Free Agent: This player is free to sign an offer sheet with any team of his choosing but his original team will have the opportunity to match any accepted offer sheet."
However, a few days into free agency, it pops up that my PG signed with Chicago for 4-yr/$148M.
There was never any prompt asking me about matching that offer sheet, so what am I missing?
cmw2clemson

Re: How to Sign my own RFAs in Free Agency?

Postby cmw2clemson » Fri Mar 15, 2024 3:14 pm

And my backup SF signed with PHI for 2-yr/$15M after declining my 2-yr/$28M offer.....
I get he declined mine because he didn't want to play for us anymore, but if he's an RFA I should be able to match the offer from PHI and keep him.
cmw2clemson

Re: How to Sign my own RFAs in Free Agency?

Postby Gary Gorski » Mon Mar 18, 2024 4:41 pm

On the first one did you sign the player to a qualifying offer? In order to make them a RFA you have to offer them the "qualifying offer" which will be a one year contract that they will sign if they do not sign with any other team (and then in that case they would become a UFA after that one extra year)

You wouldn't be able to offer to your own players if they are a RFA because you would have already given them the qualifying offer so my hunch is that you did not do that and therefore in the second case the player was just a UFA and liked the other team better.
Gary Gorski
WS Development

Return to DDS: Pro Basketball 2024 General Discussion