Momentum

Momentum

Postby markprior22 » Sun Mar 03, 2024 5:01 pm

Seems like this can really dictate the outcome of a game when AI is coaching both teams. No timeouts are taken, so once the momentum starts rolling, it's over. Even with human coach, you sometimes have to use 2-3 timeouts very early in a game if the other team gets momentum quickly.

As far as solutions, I don't know how momentum is triggered but probably should trigger less often (require more than 1-2 baskets) and deplete at a quicker rate than currently.

Curious as to what others think.
markprior22

Re: Momentum

Postby Gary Gorski » Sun Mar 03, 2024 8:57 pm

Yes curious to input on this - the AI is not using timeouts to stop momentum? If that is the case then that needs an adjustment. What are others seeing here?
Gary Gorski
WS Development

Postby PointGuard » Sun Mar 03, 2024 11:04 pm

The AI does take timeouts at times when the human team gets momentum. While I've noted it, I haven't kept track of how often or to what extent of the momentum the AI takes a time out. Kind of tough to assess this but it MAY need some tweaking...just don't know.

Momentum within the game is also dependent on the home team's facilty grade, so that varying degree of impact also makes assessment of this difficult.
Dynasty Threads:
Fedora-CB;Town Crier-CB;FIve Friends/Foes-CB;Media Perspective-CB;Whatever It Takes-CB;Who's Bret Vandergard-CB;Gym Rat-CB;Repairman-CB;S. Mastroani-TPG;V. Stevenson-TPG
PointGuard
DDS:CB Support Squad

Postby markprior22 » Mon Mar 04, 2024 11:39 am

Just to clarify---Where I see the timeout issue is when watching my team play a game under AI control. If the other teams momentum goes crazy, no timeouts are called for "your team.". While actually coaching the game, the AI will take timeouts. Momentum in general just seems overpowered to me but just my opinion. If others think it's fine as is, that's fine. I think the no TO issue should be checked (again when watching your team play under AI control).
markprior22

Postby C-Bailey24 » Mon Mar 04, 2024 11:59 am

markprior22 wrote:Just to clarify---Where I see the timeout issue is when watching my team play a game under AI control. If the other teams momentum goes crazy, no timeouts are called for "your team.". While actually coaching the game, the AI will take timeouts. Momentum in general just seems overpowered to me but just my opinion. If others think it's fine as is, that's fine. I think the no TO issue should be checked (again when watching your team play under AI control).

I agree with all of this
C-Bailey24

Postby PointGuard » Mon Mar 04, 2024 12:50 pm

Ah, OK...don't play game that way, so have no idea if AI isn't calling TO's for human's team when it's under AI control.

Separate question for those watching their own team when it's under AI control...does the AI leave all TO's unused or does it use them all at the end of the game?
Dynasty Threads:
Fedora-CB;Town Crier-CB;FIve Friends/Foes-CB;Media Perspective-CB;Whatever It Takes-CB;Who's Bret Vandergard-CB;Gym Rat-CB;Repairman-CB;S. Mastroani-TPG;V. Stevenson-TPG
PointGuard

Postby markprior22 » Mon Mar 04, 2024 2:18 pm

PG:

AI does appear to use timeouts but there are still a couple of things to look at:

1-are they taken at times that make sense
2-Is current momentum by other team significantly reduced after timeout
markprior22

Postby PointGuard » Mon Mar 04, 2024 5:49 pm

I agree the timeout logic is hard to ascertain as well as its effect. (Of course, I even find my own timeout logic to be deplorable. :rolleyes: )
Dynasty Threads:
PointGuard

Postby markprior22 » Mon Mar 04, 2024 6:09 pm

So here seems to be what is taking place. This game is fairly typical

#21 Iowa (my team but controlled by AI) hosts #3 Michigan State
MSU wins 79-65

MSU took time outs at what I would consider reasonable times

My team took zero. The game was close most of the way but Iowa could definitely have benefited from a couple TO's in the last 5 min or so. They lost 1 30-sec time out at half (which I know is per rule) and I'm 99% sure the 1 full TO was lost right as the game ended. Like it took a 30 sec away at half and a full at end of game. Game ended with MSU having 1 full TO left (which makes sense) and Iowa with 2 unused 30-sec timeouts. I watched on faster sim speed if that makes any difference.
markprior22

Postby markprior22 » Mon Mar 04, 2024 9:15 pm

One last thing. Watched 1st half of Iowa at Maryland. Iowa did call a reasonable timeout in the first half so now I don't know what's going on? I'll see how the 2nd half goes and update.

In that same game, Maryland wasted their "use it or lose it" TO. There were definitely times in the first half where Iowa had decent momentum going and a timeout would have probably been helpful for Maryland (as opposed to losing it)

EDIT: Not sure what to say at this point. Timeouts were used properly by both teams.

Move on I guess unless someone else chimes in. Don't want Gary going down a rabbet hole lol
markprior22

Next

Return to DDS: College Basketball 2024 FirstAccess