Shooting Percentage By Range

Shooting Percentage By Range

Postby CentreCourt » Mon May 06, 2024 2:14 pm

I'm trying to model real players using the Skill Ratings in the game. Can't quite get my head around FGI, FGJ and FJD. As I understand, these are three different shooting percentages for ranges inside the 3pt line. So I can ignore FT and FG3 from this discussion.

FGJ (Jumpshots) is Field Goal Percentage on 2pt Jump Shots. I'd assume it is used for shots in the 16-3PA and 10-16 distance ranges. It probably contributes to shots in the 3-10 range as well.

FGI (Inside) I assume is used for shots in the 3-10 range but probably in 0-3 also.

FGD. Seen this attribute related to both Driving and Dunks. I don't believe its related to Dunks. Could relate to shots attempted driving to the Basket and perhaps PGI relates more to shots from posting up. But the "D" could be misleading and means something else.

About 90% of players have a FGD higher than their FGI. That would suggest dunks and lay-ups come under that category. But I think there is more to it than that. Most players out perform their FGD in the 0-3 range, so I feel that FGD must incorporate a bit more than dunks/lay-ups.

Should add that the actual shots will be based on more than just the players shooting percentage at each range. Even outside their own skill attributes I suspect size/playing position will influence the shooting percentage close to the basket.

I'd be interested how a player like Matthew Marsh previously of Wake Forest would model. In 22/23 every shot (94 attempts) he took all season was close to the basket; hence his outlier 88% FG Shooting. Although he had a few offensive rebound putbacks, it was a small number (under 10%). The majority of his scores were assisted so I suspect he was receiving the ball in the (very) low post and scoring from close in. So easy to model where he shot from on court and that he didn't create his own shots, but based on that limited overview does FGD or FGI (or both) model the type of player he is?
CentreCourt

Re: Shooting Percentage By Range

Postby NCAAhoops » Mon May 06, 2024 8:24 pm

Just my opinion and not a exact answer.
FGD is a rating for Dunk/Drive baskets, or near basket. Under the player stats the box right under the basket with the restrictive area inside. So it's really near basket 0-3ft
FGI is the area around the lane surrounding the restrictive area box less the FGD box. 3-10ft
FGJ are the box areas just inside the 3 point line less the FGI & FGD boxes 10-16ft
FG3 are boxed areas outside the 3 line +16ft

This is how I interpret them but I admit to having no inside knowledge that I am correct.
NCAAhoops

Re: Shooting Percentage By Range

Postby CentreCourt » Mon May 06, 2024 9:46 pm

NCAAhoops - Thanks for your thoughts.

Kind of how I see it, but I don't think it's necessarily how it works. As I understand it, these FG* numbers are meant to be shooting percentages (when you see the Raw numbers on the database).

In an association you get around 10%+ of players with an FGD of 70+. But the vast majority of players appear to shoot in excess of 70% in the 0-3ft restricted area. So that suggests to me that FGD must be including some slightly more difficult shots.

I terms of the game engine FGD/FGI, will just be one element fed into deciding shot success. And of course that part should remain top secret. I'm just interested in how to model some real players. Ultimately I can take a punt on how to set the skill attributes and run some trials. With most attributes I can generally work out their influence (I watched some useful Wolverine videos to help there). FGD/FGI are certainly the two I'm finding most difficult. I suspect there is overlap on what they cover.

I think the stats cover five ranges:
0-3
3-10
10-16
16-3Pt Line
3Pt range

So with only four shooting range attributes (FGD, FGI, FGJ and FG3) there will be overlap which is fine.
CentreCourt

Return to DDS: College Basketball 2024 General Discussion