Height, weight, and position impact

Height, weight, and position impact

Postby howemj192 » Fri May 10, 2024 6:23 pm

What impact do height and weight have on player performance? For example, if I have a 6'7, 220 pound center, will they perform worse than a 7'0 220 pound center with the exact same skill ratings and tendencies? Or a 6'7 260 pound center?

Similarly, is there a penalty to playing someone out of position? If I have an elite point guard who is 6'5 on a bad team, whose skill ratings are better than any of my post players, would they perform well as a PF or C?
howemj192

Re: Height, weight, and position impact

Postby NCAAhoops » Sat May 11, 2024 3:45 pm

I don't know the exact impact, but Gary has mention on here over the years that height is used by the game. A guy 6' 5" and a guy 6' 8" with the same rebounding rating will not rebound the same as the Height is a factor. I'm not sure how the weight plays into it. So to that effect, I would imagine a 6' 5" guard playing at center would not do well against a good opposing center that is several inches taller.
NCAAhoops

Re: Height, weight, and position impact

Postby Gary Gorski » Mon May 13, 2024 9:48 am

Height and weight impact defensive ability in both post and perimeter defenses. If you put a 280 pound guy at guard the chances are much higher that he will not be able to stay in front of quick guards who try to drive and if you have some 6'1 guy playing center the opposing player is going to have a higher percentage of shots made shooting over someone much too small and things like that or a heavier guy might be able to bully a lighter one in the post - basically height and weight play the same role they do in real life.

Your 6'5 guy might be able to play PF/C in college. Some teams have shorter "big men" so there might be times he is fine but if you run into a 6'11 guy or something he might struggle badly that game. Obviously in the pro game that would be a terrible idea but in college the variety of players is much wider so depending on who you are playing it might work ok.
Gary Gorski
WS Development

Return to DDS: College Basketball 2024 General Discussion