Team Strategy

Team Strategy

Postby Rampkin325 » Mon Apr 01, 2024 1:20 pm

How does everyone determine what offensive and defensive sets to use?
Rampkin325

Re: Team Strategy

Postby ShamWow17 » Mon Apr 01, 2024 1:53 pm

I like to run either motion if I expect to have early draft entries in the first 4-5 years, or princeton if not, along with whatever players are most well-versed in (except 5-out, because I don't want to be too reliant on the 3, or on my scouting of that one rating). Defensively, a nearly 50-50 split between mtm and 1-3-1 zone has served me really well. I'll run a 3rd defense for a year or two if I'm starting at a new school and they don't know 1-3-1, but are proficient in another zone. I generally keep what I run proportional to player proficiencies though.
ShamWow17

Postby Rampkin325 » Mon Apr 01, 2024 3:14 pm

So what they are well-versed in really has an impact from your experience?
Rampkin325

Postby PointGuard » Mon Apr 01, 2024 4:08 pm

When I accept a new job, I tend to stick with the strategies that previously had been run since most players will have a pretty good level of experience and skill in running those. But if their skill levels are totally out of sync with what they were running, then adjust to pick strategies that seem more attuned to what their proficiencies. Just be sure to practice the strategies you're using in games. If I want to eventually move on to a new strategy, I will have the team practice it for a while before setting it to be used in a game. When recruiting or picking up transfers you can try to go after players who have skills that work best with the strategies you're using.
Dynasty Threads:
Fedora-CB;Town Crier-CB;FIve Friends/Foes-CB;Media Perspective-CB;Whatever It Takes-CB;Who's Bret Vandergard-CB;Gym Rat-CB;Repairman-CB;S. Mastroani-TPG;V. Stevenson-TPG
PointGuard
DDS:CB Support Squad

Postby ShamWow17 » Mon Apr 01, 2024 4:30 pm

Definitely. A rotation of low-level freshmen will leave you below .500 in the SWAC, while the same quality of upperclassmen who know the schemes you run really well can net you a solid tournament run.
ShamWow17

Postby Wildcat18 » Tue Apr 02, 2024 9:11 am

I almost always run Motion (60%) and Princeton (30%), mixing in a 3rd in the remaining 10% that I’ll switch up when I take a new job. For defense, I run man like 95% of the time, and will mix in a zone that’s not the 2-3.
Wildcat18

Postby 23Zone » Tue Apr 02, 2024 4:08 pm

Funny fact for me... I always run 100% man to man... 2-3 Zone is not a zone guy. I hate giving up the 3. I named myself 2-3 Zone when I first joined the board way back when because at that time I was coaching basketball and my teams prided ourselves in our aggressive 2-3 matchup zone. For offense... usually motion and triangle (I think... dont have the game handy right now). I like the offenses that keep my big guys in big guy spots.. no fancy passing bigs for me... stay close the basket, grind and rebound.
23Zone

Postby PointGuard » Tue Apr 02, 2024 9:52 pm

Say it ain't so, Joe! 23Zone is really m2mNoZone? :eek:
Dynasty Threads:
Fedora-CB;Town Crier-CB;FIve Friends/Foes-CB;Media Perspective-CB;Whatever It Takes-CB;Who's Bret Vandergard-CB;Gym Rat-CB;Repairman-CB;S. Mastroani-TPG;V. Stevenson-TPG
PointGuard
DDS:CB Support Squad

Return to DDS: College Basketball 2024 General Discussion