Strange Skill Values

Strange Skill Values

Postby CentreCourt » Mon Apr 22, 2024 11:57 am

I was using Database Export to get an understanding of the Skill values assigned to individual players. I'm using Real Player 0-100 Ratings so don't expect too many higher numbers.

In most cases the value assigned in the database directly aligned to the value displayed by the gaming. So Scoring, Passing, Both Rebounding etc show the same value.

Floor Range and Ball Action Percentages are spot on. As are the likes of IQ and Athleticism.

Relationships are exact. Work Ethic, Popularity etc align to the displayed comment.

But the following make little sense:
- Drawing Fouls. Highest in my association is 23. Over 75% single digits. On the database I see a player with a 3. In the game it is displayed as 21.
- Free Throws. 82 database. 76 in game.

And Shooting Types I can't fathom at all.

In Game:
Inside - 28
Midrange - 45
Outside - 70

Database:
FGJ - 36
FGI - 42
FGD -36
FG3 - 35

Obviously not direct matches, but struggling to see how the database values are converting in game.

I'm looking to build players (ideally real players) with particular attributes but struggling with how to rate them around different shot types (and drawing fouls).

Any ideas on this? Not trying to unpick the gameplay engine, just looking to apply the correct skill sets to players.
CentreCourt

Re: Strange Skill Values

Postby ZorbaGarp » Mon Apr 22, 2024 4:29 pm

If I'm understanding this correctly, I think what you're seeing is the difference between the players' actual skill and the scout's assessment of that skill. Most people enjoy the "fog of war" created by not really knowing the actual ratings of players. Personally I find it the most frustrating thing in the game and, for me, takes the skill out of it. If I'm creating strategies based on bad information then whether they succeed or not is purely based on luck (and the skill of my assistant coaches). I think it's also unrealistic. Even amateur eyes like mine can see wheterh a player is a good outside shooter, good defender, etc. Where I think scouting aptitude can come into play is with pre-game scouting reports and assessments of players' potential. Just my two cents and maybe totally unrelated to the question you're asking! :)
ZorbaGarp

Postby Gary Gorski » Mon Apr 22, 2024 5:37 pm

ok so what you are seeing is that in the game you get a converted number in those categories - someone who has a drawing fouls rating of 3 is pretty low but 22 would be extremely high so it displays that 3 as 21 and would display 22 as like a 91 so that you could see that player is excellent at drawing fouls where if you saw 22 you would think he's not very good and in fact you would view nobody in the entire league as any good at it because the highest numbers would be in the low 20s

Same thing for the shooting - someone who shoots 42% inside the paint is not very good at that hence you seeing a 28 rating while someone who shoots like 70% in the paint would be 90 or whatever to show that he's very good in that area
Gary Gorski
WS Development

Postby CentreCourt » Mon Apr 22, 2024 7:16 pm

Thank-you Gary. That makes total sense.

As you say if 22 were the best value on Drawing Fouls, then I'd certainly assume nobody was any good at it. The important values are those the game engine uses, but absolutely understand the need to convert for visualization purposes.

Same with the Shooting categories. Hadn't realized the raw numbers were shooting percentages which makes sense and emphasizes the need to convert to make them meaningful from a skills value perspective.
CentreCourt

Postby CentreCourt » Mon Apr 22, 2024 7:23 pm

ZorbaGarp. That was my initial thoughts as well, but it was limited to a few Skill Ratings which I found strange. For all others (the majority) it was spot on. Also the values were so far off, that I assumed no scout could be that bad.
CentreCourt

Return to DDS: College Basketball 2024 General Discussion