Players going pro

Players going pro

Postby Timmuh » Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:17 pm

My last two seasons I had success recruiting two players ranked top 5 at their positions. They came in as 4 1/2 stars with 5 star potential. Both had great years...being up for awards but neither went pro...even as sophomores.

Up to this point I had not paid much attention to how many players went pro because of my roster. I would think maybe more should...even lower potential players coming off breakout years or high potential players with average years.

What experience have others had?
Timmuh

Re: Players going pro

Postby TripLykely » Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:11 pm

I’ve yet to have it happen but almost exclusively play small schools. Have had some drafted players but nobody declaring early. Are you at a big school and are you winning? I’d imagine those play a role based on the teams players I see listed.
DDSCB21 Let's Play - Chasing the career milestones of the legendary UCLA coach John Wooden - Chasing Wooden Playlist --> https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLIVfxNP1tD6mNwqSbZK-ZtxC5ntyd1uiq
TripLykely

Postby Merpninja2 » Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:10 am

I have noticed fewer players going pro in this version, less than 30 per year. Even a guy who won National Player of the Year for 3 years straight, at a P6 school didn't go pro until his junior year.
Merpninja2

Postby Cards1125 » Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:50 am

It happens. Guys are great college players but the pros aren't very high on them so there's no reason for them to go pro. Or maybe they're just really into the college experience. Guys like Tyler Hansborough. Or Matt Leinert in football. Obviously, when you're talking about Player of the Year types it should be more rare. But its certainly not unheard of. Butler and Mitchell for Baylor were both juniors this year.
Cards1125

Postby Timmuh » Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:53 am

Yeah totally agree. Maybe having a current star rating, a potential star rating, and an NBA star rating?

Some way to separate college potential from nba potential. This could fluctuate and be impacted by measurables, athletic ability, college production...etc
Timmuh

Postby jfsolo23 » Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:58 pm

I do feel like not enough players are going pro early in this version. Maybe a player will stay for their Sophomore season these days, but no player who is already worthy of being a first round pick is going to stay 3 or 4 years playing college basketball. If a players blows up in their Junior or Senior season, that's understandable, but the days of a Duncan, or even a Hansborough are gone. In reality, even a lot of players who are misguided about their status go early into the draft, IMO this was tuned better last year.
jfsolo23

Postby TripLykely » Sat Apr 10, 2021 1:48 am

Not sure how common this is in real life, but just had a true freshman PG declare early from UC San Diego and not get drafted. Was the #26 national recruit and had a nice year but didn’t make all-conference. Shame he’s gone as he was a triple player trait guy and my best recruit on this run. Is it common for players who declare to not get drafted?
DDSCB21 Let's Play - Chasing the career milestones of the legendary UCLA coach John Wooden - Chasing Wooden Playlist --> https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLIVfxNP1tD6mNwqSbZK-ZtxC5ntyd1uiq
TripLykely

Postby Timmuh » Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:20 am

That sucks for your team but cool for a more real life experience. This happens in college basketball more then people realize.
Timmuh

Postby TripLykely » Sat Apr 10, 2021 10:32 am

Timmuh wrote:That sucks for your team but cool for a more real life experience. This happens in college basketball more then people realize.

Right on. It was bittersweet to recruit him and see him on the list but he was a 5* as a freshman, #26 but top10 at Indy and MVP regional. I may never win the NC
TripLykely

Postby TripLykely » Sun Apr 11, 2021 12:59 am

Just to add to this topic, it seems around top25 prospects and better declare early, at least as freshman. In my run I’ve started pulling top talent and just had 5 players drafted this year, 2 freshman the rest seniors. They were all in the running for the Norton as well.
TripLykely

Next

Return to DDS: College Basketball 2021 General Discussion