Hereafter

Re: Hereafter

Postby Wayne23 » Wed Jun 09, 2021 1:53 am

11/30: 90-72. Early lead. Up 7 after 10. Cora is starting for Star and playing well. Up 21 at the half. Up 27 with 10 left. Best offense of the season.

16, 8 for Mack, 20 for Mill, 10, 10, 3 for Cora, 10, 7 for Ball.

+16 RBs, 8 TOs. Easy road wins are rare; we'll take it!

4-1 Saint Louis is in. This may be the best team on our pre-conference schedule. They play very good D but they have trouble scoring and they turn it over.
Wayne23
DDS:CB Support Squad

Postby Wayne23 » Wed Jun 09, 2021 2:16 am

12/3: 63-71. We take an early lead but it's close. Up 5 after 10. Run! Up 14 at the half. Up 9 with 10 to play. They got it to 6 a couple of times but no closer.

12, 6 for C Kel Love. Balanced scoring. Good D tonight.

-6 RBs but 7 fewer TOs. We shot better, taking 15 more shots and making 9 of them.

Little used C/F Dave Hemp is out for a couple weeks with back spasms.

2-4 Gardner-Webb is in town. On paper we're a lot better all across the board.

In a big recruiting win PG Ken Brinkley commits.

It's kind of amazing how little I think about the fact that this is the afterlife, or maybe an afterlife. I actually lived, died, found myself in a strange place where I was able to define the kind of life I wanted to live next, and then that life was launched. I've been living it, in one form or another, for quite some time now and it feels completely real and completely natural, although i'm living in circumstances that couldn't happen in the previous reality.

Again, it's rare when i think about that. I have to say I'm loving this life and just about everything in it. Lots of dreams are coming true.
Wayne23

Postby Wayne23 » Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:36 am

12/7: 69-66. Close early. Down 4 after 10. Down 4 at the half. Down 6 with 10 to play. This was a real battle!

13, 6, 6 for Mill, 11, 2, 7 for Dens. The bench was the difference, 28, 5, 5 to 17, 12, 4. Big edge in scoring. -8 RBs but 13 fewer TOs. We took 25 more shots, made 8 of them. So we didn't shoot well, but we shot often!

A week off then 2-4 Mercer is here. We think we're definitely the better team.

The focus is on Titan and we're beginning to gather data.
Wayne23

Postby Wayne23 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:06 am

12/14: 70-56. Up 2 after 10. Up 5 at the half. Up 8 with 10 to go. Very solid D!

14, 6 for Cora, 14, 2, 3 for Mack, 10, 7 for Ball. But it was the D that won this one.

+5 RBs, 10 TOs. We shot 46.6% to 31.3%. +18 in the paint.

Our last pre-conference game is at 7-3 NJIT. They have a very good bench but we're better at almost every starting position.

Titan is a huge moon, the 2nd largest in the solar system and a little bigger than Mercury. It is the only object in the system other than Earth that has a significant atmosphere, 97% nitrogen and incapable of supporting life as we know it, but those last 4 words may be key. Who knows what other kinds of life may be possible. We hope to find out. We will send probes, and eventually a shuttle or two to gain more information.
Wayne23

Postby Wayne23 » Sat Jun 12, 2021 11:35 am

12/21: 79-63. Early lead. It grows. Up 15 after 10 minutes. They close the gap. Up 4 at the break. Up 2 with 10 to play. We go on a run! They came back and tied it twice, then we rose to the challenge very well and took control.

6th man Gary Ball led us with 16; 13 for Mill, 11, 3, 3, 3 steals for Mack.

-3 RBs but 4 fewer TOs. We shot 54.9% to 43.1%, and that was a big factor. Solid bench play and an edge in the paint also helped.

We end pre-conf. play at 8-1, NET #38, which is way too high considering the quality of our opponents (but this is still broken, so...).

NET Rating +17, #23. +13.5 PPG, +2.2 RBs, +6.6 Assists, -6.1 TOs, +5.1 Steals.

Very balanced scoring, the top 8 go from 12.6 (Chris Mack) to 6.8. Kel Love leads with 8.3 RBs. Ken Dens gets 5.7 Assists. He turns it over 2.2 times but we're doing really well with TOs.

We start the 20 game Horizon schedule at 5-4 Cleveland State. On paper we're considerably better, esp. With RBS and TOs, as well as PPG. They score a lot more outside than inside. Let's see what happens.

Again, I'm "living," not even sure if that's the right term, in an afterlife. Is it my first? Have a I lived lives other than the one I remember? No idea.

Another thing I suppose I could try but haven't dared to, is a "reset." Is there some way for me to reset what I'm doing. If something goes seriously wrong can I stop that and have a "do over?" I guess I'm afraid to find out.

Can I prevent an absolute disaster? If one happened, say the ship had a serious hull breach that killed me, would I actually die or would something save me? If I died would I start over again as I di9d this time?

Too much to think about or experiment with, at least for now. And there doesn't seem to be anyone to ask. Once I actually stated my preferences for this life whoever, or maybe whatever, explained all of that to me and set it in motion disappeared. I have no idea if I can make contact again.
Wayne23

Postby Wayne23 » Sat Jun 12, 2021 11:59 am

12/26: 73-53. Slight lead early. Up 4 after 10. Up 5 at the break. Run! Up 16 with 10 left. A road win is a great way to start conference play! Great D!

14, 7 for 6th man Gary Ball. 14, 1, 3 for Mill, 11, 5, 3 for Cora, 9, 11 for Love.

+16 RBs. We shot 50% to 39.6%, and we controlled the inside.

At 5-6, 1-0 Oakland. They turn it over much more than we do. Rebounding is about equal. Our D looks WAY better, at least on paper. They're stronger inside than outside.
Wayne23

Postby Wayne23 » Sat Jun 12, 2021 2:49 pm

12/29: 71-74. Down 1 after 10 minutes. Very back and forth. Down 4 at the break. Down 3 with 10 to go. 21 lead changes, 14 ties, never more than an 8 point spread. It could have gone either way. They won it with a last second three. We had a hand in the shooter's face so there's nothing more we could have done.

12, 11, 3 for Love, 16, 5 for Mack, 13, 5, 3 for Mill.

+3 RBs, only 8 TOs. They shot better, 42.4% to our 36.2%, and they were 8-20 on threes, WAY better than their norm. Their outside game was a lot better than our scouting report indicated that it would be, and that was the difference, 42 points to our 26.

5-8, 0-2 Illinois-Chicago comes to town. They have trouble scoring points and their D has been weak so far this season.

We've done LOTS of testing, probing... on Titan. All of it has been interesting, but none of it, so far, has been a great revelation or a universe shattering discovery.
Wayne23

Postby Wayne23 » Sat Jun 12, 2021 3:14 pm

1/2/2027: 75-62. Tied after 10. We go on a run. Up 4 at the half. Mini-run. Up 11 with 10 left. We held a comfortable lead throughout the 2nd half.

11, 12, 3 for Love, 12, 1, 9 for Dens, 15 for Mill, 10, 7 for Mack. Decent bench play and good D.

-8 RBs but 11 fewer TOs. Shooting was about even but we took more shots and were +7 from the line.

5-7, 1-2 Milwaukee is here. They have a very good SG, and they shoot well outside. We rebound much better and we should be able to beat their porous D.
Wayne23

Postby Wayne23 » Sat Jun 12, 2021 3:46 pm

1/5: 77-72 in OT! We scored the last 7 points. Back and forth. Down 1 after 10. Down 5 at the half. Down 2 with 10 left; it's a war! OT! Whew!

14, 9 for Cora11, 13 for Love. Good bench play. +9 RBs, 5 fewer TOs. We shot only 35.4% to 45.9%, but we were +17 from the line. +10 in the paint, +9 on 2nd chances.

Their SG didn't do much (7, 7, 3).

8-5, 3-1 IUPUI is here for our 3rd home game in a row; weird scheduling. This is another team with a very good SG. They score a lot of points but give up a lot. I think
we're better, but this is a good team. We need to play well.

Well, a magic moment has happened! We prepared a shuttle to get samples from the atmosphere of Titan. We sterilized it to the maximum extent possible, and sent it on its way. It had an "arm" with the capability of scooping some material and bringing it into the shuttle for analysis in a sterile atmosphere.

This yielded some hints that there might be life, but nothing definitive. We then sent the shuttle down to the "ocean" on the surface. Careful navigation allowed it to actually get close enough to scoop some material from just below the surface and then to rapidly get away from that very volatile area.

The onboard analysis equipment then went into action.

They found what absolutely has to be life! This is the first time life, in any form, has been found away from the planet Earth, and it is an incredible discovery!

Yes, the experts have always been theoretically certain that life existed somewhere, most likely lots of somewheres, beyond our home world, but we hadn't found any yet. Nor had any of the many satellites that have been exploring for many decades.

Now that has changed.

What we found was microscopic life, very different from anything that exists back home. But it moves, it ingests, it reproduces. So it's life by all definitions.

It's tricky to perform experiments remotely but we feel that it is necessary. This shuttle will never come in contact with the ship again. We don't want to chance any cross contamination.

So instrumentation on the shuttle, some operated robotically, some remotely by human scientists aboard the ship, is examining this new life form. I'm sure there will be more to report as time goes by.
Wayne23

Postby Wayne23 » Sat Jun 12, 2021 5:16 pm

1/9: 86-64. Up 6 after 10. Up 8 at halftime. Big run! Up 21 with 10 to play. We expected more trouble from this team.

20, 4 for PG Dens, 11, 5, 5 for SF Mack, 10, 10 for 6th man F/C Ball.

8 TOs. We shot 50% to 42.4%.

We're 4-1. Only loss was to 5-0 Oakland, there, by only 3 points.

At 7-7, 2-3 Purdue Fort Wayne next. We rebound and defend a lot better than they do. They are strong at PG and from the bench.

More on life on Titan. These guys reproduce asexually, as expected. It seems to happen about every 44 minutes. They're completely different from life on Earth in that they are not carbon based and they don't ingest oxygen. We're still learning but they seem to breathe methane, but not much of it; it comprises only about 2.7% of Titan's nitrogen atmosphere but from what we can tell so far it's the critical gas for these little creatures.

What are they made of? Nothing we can identify, nothing from our Periodic Table, as far as we can tell. We're hoping that means they're made from elements that are somehow changed as to be unidentifiable by any means we've used so far. Otherwise what we consider the basic building blocks of life are not complete, and there are new elements to be discovered. We kind of know that but the assumption has been that undiscovered elements all have an extremely brief half-life. If that's the case that wouldn't fit because these little guys would only live for milliseconds or microseconds. They live a lot longer than that. In a sense they don't die, as some part of them continues every time they reproduce. Clearly we still have a lot to learn here.
Wayne23

PreviousNext

Return to DDS: College Basketball Dynasty Reports