Alasketball

Win streak!

Postby Jake8005 » Wed Jan 26, 2022 6:49 pm

After winning to start the season, Alaska Anchorage traveled back home to Alaska to play the Detroit Mercy Titans only three days later. This one was never close, as the Seawolves jumped out to a big lead and won the first half 51-35, and never relinquished the lead, winning 100-77.

The Seawolves are now 2-0 in Division I!

Matt Louis dominated, scoring 20 points in only 25 minutes. Louis Gaither scored 17 points, including going 11-14 from the line in 26 minutes as well as getting 7 rebounds. Herb Smiley led the team in rebounds with 9 to go along with his 13 points. John Pengelly led the team in assists with 5, tied with Omara. This was the first game Fleming, Haymon, Strong and Powell played in, each playing 4 minutes. Otis Strong scored 10 points in those 4 minutes, and Jeff Rowell scored 5, showing they can play as I thought. Maybe playing some (very) small ball is the way to go to get them some minutes?
Jake8005

Growing Pains

Postby Jake8005 » Sat Jan 29, 2022 2:25 pm

Next we travel back to the lower 48 to play Georgia Southern. This game started well as we led 43-29 at halftime, eventually being up as much as 65-44 with 10:44. Then the starters were pulled. Big mistake. The Eagles went on a run, and forces us to put out starters in after being up only 4 with 4 minutes left, but the starters could not hold the lead as we lost 79-76. Whoops. Lesson learned. Matt Louis shot 8-13 to lead us with 19 points, trailed by Michael Blake who shot 5-9 for 14 points in 23 minutes as a sub. We had a tough time on the boards, as only two players had more than 3 rebounds, Louis and Blake both having 5.

Reporter: Carlos, what was your reasoning behind pulling your starters so early and do you regret it?
Boozer: No, I don't. I wanted to give other guys an opportunity to play and show what they can do. Remember, we lost the lead after the starters went back in. Everybody is responsible for this lost, most of all myself.

We then travel back west to face New Mexico. Their frontcourt is both 6'7 so it's an opportunity to play some small ball. However, we were never really in this as we are down 50-36 at halftime and lose 89-68. The only good players were Pengelly who shot 6-7 for 14 points, and Gaither, who shot 4-5 for 11 points. Our 7'1 center Matt Louis led us with 5 assists, more than his 4 points.

This was inevitable. D1 wouldn't be easy, and losing is a learning experience.
Jake8005

Re: Alasketball

Postby PointGuard » Fri Apr 22, 2022 1:13 pm

Jake: You need to continue this. I think the TITLE is one of the BEST ever. And having a team located in Alaska is unique as well.
Dynasty Threads:
Fedora-CB;Town Crier-CB;FIve Friends/Foes-CB;Media Perspective-CB;Whatever It Takes-CB;Who's Bret Vandergard-CB;Gym Rat-CB;Repairman-CB;S. Mastroani-TPG;V. Stevenson-TPG
PointGuard
DDS:CB Support Squad

Postby Wayne23 » Fri Apr 22, 2022 1:23 pm

I second the motion!
Wayne23

Postby Jake8005 » Thu May 12, 2022 10:15 pm

I've been planning on it! I've been caught with playing OOTP with the new release, being more into baseball than college basketball after the tournament ended and the mlb started and other life stuff. I'll continue this tomorrow.
Jake8005

Postby Jake8005 » Sat May 14, 2022 2:52 am

After the loss to New Mexico dropped the Seawolves to 2-2, the Seawolves head back to Alaska for the familiarity of their Campus and Alaska Airlines Center.

On the plane back to Alaska, coach Carlos Boozer addressed the team.

Guys, I know this road trip hasn't gone our way, but we're headed back home and gonna play in front of our fans. So get some rest because it's a long flight.

November 30th, 2021. The Alaska Anchorage Seawolves return home to play the San Francisco Dons.

The Seawolves started the well, leading 40-35. The second half was closer, but Alaska Anchorage pulled out as 84-78 winners, and have a 3-2 record. Lee Crosby was the player of the game, with 23 points, 2 assists and 4 rebounds. Livan Gaither and Johnny Pengelly both had 15 points.

However, after this, the Seawolves had five out of conference road games before conference play.

First, the Seawolves travel to Boston to play BC on December 3rd, their first power five opponent.

The Seawolves fought hard, trailing 41-34 at halftime, but lost 84-70. Livan Gaither had 18 points but only 2 boards. Herb Smiley and Michael Blake had the bulk of the rebounds for the Seawolves, pulling down 8 and 9 respectively.

Next, the Seawolves head south to play LSU on December 7th for another power five game.

A poor first half set the tone, as LSU led 43-22 at halftime and ultimately won 83-60 and the Seawolves got some reserves into the game. Herb Smiley had 15 points and Matt Louis had 12. Quadree Fleming came off the bench to score 10 points, and Boozer used the blowout as an opportunity to get him, Otis Strong, Jeff Rowell and John Haymon some game time.

Another power five game followed as the Seawolves played TCU on December 14th.

The Seawolves made this game much closer, trailing 38-37 at halftime. However, TCU used a 47-41 second half to win 85-78. One again, Livan Gaither and Matt Louis led the Seawolves in scoring, with 14 points, and grabbing 6 and 5 boards respectively. A loss is never good, but the Seawolves can be encouraged by keeping it very closs.

Finally, an easier opponent awaited in Denver when the Seawolves played the Denver Pioneers on December 21st.

..... but the game was not easier. Denver led at halftime 46-33, and it was too much to overcome as even a 47-40 second half from the Seawolves could not prevent an 86-80 loss. Matt Louis was easily the best Seawolve, scoring 25 points as well as grabbing 7 rebounds, Lee Crosby was next with 10 points.

at the post-game press conference, Seawolves head coach Carlos Boozer was asked about the struggles his team had and if they could turn it around

Reporter: Coach, your team is 3-6 and on a four game losing streak as they transition from playing out of conference to in the Big West. Why will the team be any different the rest of the season?

Boozer: Well, we're still getting used to D1. These guys haven't played at this level, so to get a few wins and play some good teams as close as we have to me is a great sign. Out of conference games can be used for a little more expirementation than may be used in conference games, so we've been trying some things out.

Reporter: Does this mean you may be using your bench less?

Boozer: It may mean that, it may not. We'll always be looking for ways to find new advantages. That may mean using bench players more, but we also want to eventually have an idea of what our rotation is.
Last edited by Jake8005 on Wed Jul 27, 2022 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jake8005

Postby PointGuard » Sat May 14, 2022 12:49 pm

Alaska-Anchorage alum: "The AD's gotta quit scheduling Power 5 teams on the road. Who's next on our schedule? Duke in Durham?" Kansas in Lawrence?"
Dynasty Threads:
Fedora-CB;Town Crier-CB;FIve Friends/Foes-CB;Media Perspective-CB;Whatever It Takes-CB;Who's Bret Vandergard-CB;Gym Rat-CB;Repairman-CB;S. Mastroani-TPG;V. Stevenson-TPG
PointGuard

Postby Jake8005 » Sat May 14, 2022 7:57 pm

PointGuard wrote:Alaska-Anchorage alum: "The AD's gotta quit scheduling Power 5 teams on the road. Who's next on our schedule? Duke in Durham?" Kansas in Lawrence?"

athletic department needs that $$ for D1 lol
Jake8005

Recruit!

Postby Jake8005 » Fri May 20, 2022 1:21 pm

Finally!

The Alaska Anchorage Seawolves have their first D1 recruit.

Eric Edwards, a 6'3 210 lb. PG from Juneau is the first member of our recruiting class.

Edwards is a one-star recruit, ranked as the 1092nd best recruit, and 188th best PG recruit. Edwards was a good player for Juneau-Douglas High School, which is the alma mater of head Coach Carlos Boozer. Edwards averages 15.1 points, 3.1 assists, 3.6 rebounds, 1.7 steals and 2.2 blocks per game. However, don't let the assists fool you, as he is rated as a B- passer and A ball handler by us. Edwards also gets an A- for defense, B- for scoring and a C+ overall. However, his C+ athleticism and C- free throws grades are underwhelming.

The most important priority for Edwards was school location which was what we sold him on, beating out Loyola Marymount, San Jose State, USC (!!!) and Washington. Hopefully, the last two wanting him means he's better than advertised, but Utah State was the best team outside of his top five.

Edwards is an important recruit for us, as both starter Johnny Pengelly and backup David Omara, both 3.5 stars, will graduate, leaving junior 1.5 star Otis Strong as our likely starter at PG next year, and Edwards as possibly our backup. It was important to get Edwards, as the other two PG recruits in Alaska, Travis Mintz and Carlos Dove, are the #1786 and #1744 players in this recruiting class respectively.

Alaska recruits that are still available:

#98 PF 4 star Torraye Brown 6'8 202 lbs
#407 SG 2 star Marcus Leep 6-0 178 lbs
#689 PF 2 star Connor Kamouna 6'10 240 lbs
#1669 PG 1 star Travis Mintz 6'2 173 lbs
#1744 SF 1 star Clint Kent 6'8 202 lbs
#1786 PG 1 star Carlos Dove 6'3 185 lbs

Obbviously the top three recruits their are our focus, but we need anybody that can play center, so Brown and Kamouna are our focus, though we will take Leep. Mintz and Dove I may only look at it if none of the other four choose us, as we have guards, though all are upperclassmen. Kent is tall, but can only play SF/PF, so while I want him more than Mintz or Dove, he is not my priority. So far I rarely have success in getting Brown, Leep or Kamouna to talk to me, but hopefully I can get one or get lucky in the portal.
Last edited by Jake8005 on Sat Jul 01, 2023 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jake8005

Postby PointGuard » Sat May 21, 2022 1:03 am

Brown is a stretch alright, but maybe he really wants to play near home or one of his parents is an alum...or his GPA (if rather low) scares off more prestigious programs.

I'd aggressively recruit Kamouna. He could be a solid prospect.

And Kent might be OK, depending on his rebounding/defense/scoring ratings.
Dynasty Threads:
PointGuard

PreviousNext

Return to DDS: College Basketball Dynasty Reports