SAME FEDORA-NEW CROWN?

Re: SAME FEDORA-NEW CROWN?

Postby PointGuard » Sat Jul 30, 2022 6:14 pm

UC-Riverside Highlanders (3-8, 2-0) @ Cal Poly Mustangs (5-7, 1-2)

Following two horrible games for PG Aki Mosley, he scored on a breakaway in the first 15 seconds of the game. But then two starters (SF Jason Fleming and C Roland Holland) were sent to the bench with 2 fouls apiece in the first 2-1/2 minutes of the game. Even though Coach Aura had to use a makeshift lineup throughout the half, the teams stayed close and the Mustangs came away with a 35-33 edge when the half ended.

Cal Poly went on an 11-0 run the begin the first half. But the Mustangs’ shooting went ice cold and the Highlanders scored 14 unanswered points to take a 3 point lead with 8 minutes to go. With 53 seconds remaining, the game was tied at 61-61. Jason Fleming picked off a pass and got it up to Denny Grove who blew a dunk but was fouled. He dropped both free throws through the hoop to put the Mustangs up by 2 with 35 seconds to go. After a miss by UC Riverside, SG Dean Plowman was intentionally fouled with 12 seconds left. Plowman calmly sunk both shots. The Highlanders got it up court quickly and fired in a 3 with 5 seconds to go. Mosley was fouled as soon as the ball was inbounded. Ignoring the pressure, he hit both free throws. A midcourt desperation lob by the Highlanders just before the buzzer sounded was off the mark and Cal Poly escaped with a 67-64 victory.

PF Denny Grove had a double-double with 13 points and 12 rebounds plus he had 2 assists, 3 steals and 2 blocks. PG Aki Mosley scored 12 and SG Dean Plowman hit for 10 points. Reserves Victor Carson, Terrell Alexander, and John Gibbs combined to score 22 points. 8 Mustangs’ reserves were on the court a total of 89 minutes.

Coach Aura said, “Tonight we needed the entire team to get into the fray and play well and for many of them to play a variety of positions and take on different roles. And they did it and we came away with a real team win.”
Dynasty Threads:
Fedora-CB;Town Crier-CB;FIve Friends/Foes-CB;Media Perspective-CB;Whatever It Takes-CB;Who's Bret Vandergard-CB;Gym Rat-CB;Repairman-CB;S. Mastroani-TPG;V. Stevenson-TPG
PointGuard
DDS:CB Support Squad

Postby PointGuard » Sun Jul 31, 2022 7:33 pm

Cal Poly Mustangs (6-7, 2-2) @ UC-San Diego Tritons (4-8, 1-2)

Cedric “Drums” Gregory, freshman reserve SG

Since my hometown of San Juan Capistrano is just an easy 45 minute drive down I-5 to UC-San Diego, I have a large contingent of family and friends (including 2 guys from the rock band I used to play in) attending this game. I’m hoping I get some extensive playing time and do well.

I got into the game with 12-1/2 minutes left in the first half and ahead 15-10. I knocked dow a 3 with about 10 minutes on the clock to make it 22-15. I then drew successive fouls and got to go to the line on the 2nd one. I dropped both shots through the hoop to put us ahead by 9 points. After playing for 6 minutes I was subbed out, having scored 5 points and pulling down 2 boards. We were ahead 28-22. We finished the first half with a 46-38 advantage. We outshot the Tritons 64% to 48% and topped UC-San Diego in rebounding 19-11. PG Aki Mosley scorched the net with 15 points.

We all were jazzed and slapping each other on the back for how well we played. Coach Fed let it go on for a while, but then warned us that the Tritons were sure to adjust their defense in the 2nd half and we’d have to play better to avoid the homecourt advantage that often occurs in the final stanza. UC-San Diego’s PG Corliss Underwood had hit 5 of 6 FG’s and scored 12 points, so he made an adjustment to our defense to try to shut him down.

I got back into the game with 14:16 on the clock and us ahead 55-47. I dropped in a 3 to make it 60-49 with about 13 minutes left in the game, but then got called for a cheap foul on the Tritons next possession. I came back to get off a closely contested 14 footer on our next possession to put us ahead by 13 points. Then I drew 2 more fouls on the Triton that was defending me, sending him to their bench with 4 fouls. With about 8 minutes remaining I rook a pass to the left of the key, cut across to the right and just outside the 3-point line and hit another 3-pointer to put us ahead 68-53. I stuck another 3 through the silks with 5 minutes to go to make it 74-63. I then grabbed a rebound on the Tritons next possession and made a good outlet pass to Dean Plowman. A couple quick passes brought the ball back to me at the head of the key and I dropped in another 3 to give us a 14 point lead. My legs were on fire and Coach Fed subbed me out with 3-1/2 minutes remaining. UC-San Diego then went on an 11-0 run cutting out lead to 3 points with 1-1/2 minutes left. With 47 seconds on the clock we got our lead back up to 5 with free throws. We continued to score at the free throw line and came away with a satisfying 83-76 win. Our victory catapulted us into a 4-way tie for 2nd place in the Big West, just ½ game behind first-place Hawaii. And…we have 2 home games this coming week.

PG Aki Mosley was our top scorer with 20 points. I scored 19 points, hitting 6 of 8 from the field (including sinking all 5 of my 3 point attempts) plus had 3 rebounds and an assist in my 17 minutes on the court. SG Dean Plowman scored 14 and PF Denny Grove hit for 13 points plus had 9 rebounds.

Since the most I had scored in a game previously was 4 points, this was by far my best game. It won’t get me a starting role at SG since Dean Plowman is a senior who’s averaging 12.7 ppg. But I think it had to open Coach Fed’s eyes on what I can do and should get me more playing time in the future.
Dynasty Threads:
Fedora-CB;Town Crier-CB;FIve Friends/Foes-CB;Media Perspective-CB;Whatever It Takes-CB;Who's Bret Vandergard-CB;Gym Rat-CB;Repairman-CB;S. Mastroani-TPG;V. Stevenson-TPG
PointGuard

Postby PointGuard » Tue Aug 02, 2022 1:56 am

Interview of Coach Fred Aura by KSBO-CD TV’s Ryan Forrester:

Forrester: Coach, last season this team won just 5 games the entire season and finished dead last in the Big West Conference. A couple of your players transferred prior to your taking control of the team this summer and you were prohibited from going after any transfer players to replace them. So you have a quite a few walk-ons filling out your roster. Now you’re just half-way through the season and you already have 7 victories and are tied for 2nd place in the conference. How has that come about?

Aura: You’re right, we don’t have a lot of depth. And I’m pretty sure no one expected us to do much this season. To be honest, I was in that boat when I first got here. But the players on this team have exceeded my expectations. I think they took the derision of so many as an affront and it’s rallied them to prove the doubters wrong. Seniors Dean Plowman and Denny Grove have provided experienced leadership that has allowed four guys who had never played for Cal Poly to develop as solid starters. Freshmen PG Aki Mosley, SF Jason Fleming, and C Donald Blackmon and senior walk-on C Roland Holland have become very good starters for us and together with Dean and Denny have melded into an effective core. And we’ve gotten some good backup support from a number of our reserves. A great example of this is the outstanding performance by Cedric Gregory which was key to our win over UC-San Diego two days ago.

Forrester: Are you going to be able to finish the season near the top of the standings in the Big West?

Aura: That’s hard to say. A week from now we have 4 straight road games which be a huge challenge for us. Road games are tough for most all teams and have definitely been that way for us thus far. Rather than worrying about where we’ll finish in the standings, I think it’s important for us to just continue to develop as a team and play as well as we can each and every game. I want to encourage Mustangs fans to support the team and come out to our games.

Forrester: Good luck Coach.

Aura: Thanks Ryan.
Dynasty Threads:
PointGuard

Postby PointGuard » Fri Aug 05, 2022 12:45 am

Janeka Aura

Whoo hoo! Two really strong games in a row for Malik. He knocked down 11 of 13 FG’s and 6 of 8 of his 3-point attempts and totaled 30 points in those two games. He probably would have done even better had he not gotten into foul trouble in both games. He’s now averaging 8.5 ppg this season for Georgetown.

Omari continues to exhibit consistency in the NBA’s D-League, particularly with his rebounding and defense. It sure would be good to see him promoted up to the Grizzlies. Fred says that isn’t likely this season, but if he continues to impress he may make the jump next year.
Dynasty Threads:
PointGuard

Postby PointGuard » Fri Aug 05, 2022 4:46 pm

UC Davis Aggies (2-12, 1-4) @ Cal Poly Mustangs (7-7, 3-2)

The Aggies have two cousins who carry the team. C Greg Smith is averaging 17.3 ppg and 6.4 rpg while PF Tarik Smith has averaged 6.2 ppg and 6.9 rpg.

The Aggies 2-3 zone gave us trouble early and it took us nearly 4 minutes to score. After we fell behind by as much a 9 points, PG Aki Mosley hit a three straight 3’s to finally give us a lead at 24-23 with 4:52 remaining in the half. We then quickly spurted to a 10 point lead and finished the half ahead by a score or 37-25.

We maintained control of the game throughout the entire 2nd half to power our way to a 70-52 thrashing of UC Davis.

PG Aki Mosley had 18 points and 7 assists, SF Jason Fleming dropped in 15 points, and C Roland Holland scored 10 points.
Dynasty Threads:
PointGuard

Postby PointGuard » Sun Aug 07, 2022 11:36 pm

UC-Irvine Anteaters (5-9, 3-2) @ Cal Poly Mustangs (8-7, 4-2)

PG Jay Rush

The Anteaters had a pretty tough pre-conference schedule. But they’ve won 3 of their past 4 games. I got onto the team as a last-minute walk-on and have gotten into just one game during which I was on the court for 4 minutes. But I’m perfect. Took one shot which I made and it was a 3. Even though I never expect to get into games, I’m still having fun practicing with the team.

Two minutes into the game we’re on top 7-2. Sparks (Aki Mosley) is on fire, scoring 8 points in the first 4 minutes to lead us to a 12-5 advantage. Our D is crushing the Anteaters…with 5 minutes to go in the first half, they’ve only been able to hit 4 of 19 shots and we lead 34-13. (Put me in Coach, put me in…LOL). Shark (Victor Carson) hits back-to-back 3’s to give us a 40-15 lead…that’s 8 points for him coming off the bench. We head to the locker room at the half leading 48-27. Coach Fed pats us on the back for hitting 63% of our FG’s and being +4 in rebounding. Sparks has 12 points, Cobra (Jason Fleming) has 11 points, and Shark has 10 points.

We go on a 7-0 run in the first minute of play in the 2nd half and expand our lead to 55-27. We continue scoring, but our defense has broken down and UC-Irvine is pouring in points also. Coach Fed isn’t happy. But we’re maintaining a 20 point bulge over the Anteaters. With 1:49 remaining, Coach Fed empties the bench. I’m in! A minute later I make a nice cut across the key and J-Rod (Jarrod Hill) hits me with a quick pass, I turn and put up a 5 footer than falls cleanly through the net. The buzzer sounds all too quickly and we leave the court with a resounding 91-74 victory.

We hit 66% of our FGA’s and 63% of our 3PA’s.

Sparks (PG Aki Mosley) dropped in 21 points, Boots (Dean Plowman) and Shark (SF/PF) Victor Carlson both scored 12 points, and Cobra (SF Jason Fleming) and Trix (PG John Gibbs) each score 11. I’m still perfect for the season…2 for 2 on FG’s and 1 for 1 on 3’s. And I’ve scored a total of 5 points during my 5 minutes of playing time this season.

And surprise of surprises, our 5-2 record puts us on top of the Big West Conference standings, a half-game ahead of Hawaii and Long Beach State. Our next 4 games are on the road, so staying on top will be darned tough.
Dynasty Threads:
PointGuard

Postby PointGuard » Tue Aug 09, 2022 1:12 pm

Janeka Aura

Fred really seems to be enjoying coaching here for Cal Poly. While he got great satisfaction out of working with the great athletes that came to Boston College and how successful his Eagles’ teams were…and of course, winning a National Championship…there was another aspect that began gnawing on him. He never discussed it and just kept it hidden deep within him. But I could tell that the success also created a lot of stress. I don’t think it was a fear of the team slipping from the top. No, I think it was that there began to become a decreasing challenge. The Eagles’ success was making it easier and easier to fill available scholarships with very high quality players. And that was making winning almost too easy for Fred. I’m sure that is why he chose to take on a team like Cal Poly that not only was in the doldrums but had handicaps created by the improprieties of the previous coach that set up challenges that exceeded those with which Fred had encountered in the past.

The level of play by the Mustangs is far below what he had with his BC teams, even the teams when he first got there that were in the lower half of the ACC standings. But he’s reveling in having to work hard at getting the utmost performance from the players he has at Cal Poly. He’s actually been surprised by how well the team has performed thus far. But yesterday he told me that fans’ expectations have grown too big. They now think that since the Mustangs are atop the Big West standings that they will continue their winning ways. But he told me that its likely the team may lose their next 4 games since they’re all road games. That’s going to burst some bubbles for fans (and maybe some of his players as well). And if they lose 4 straight, it’s possible the team’s confidence may be damaged to the extent that even home games become difficult to win. So he and his assistant coaches will have a big chore to keep that from happening. So…challenges abound.

Another person in our household who has entered a new phase of his life is my father. He and my mother had such a long life together and such a close and loving relationship. They depended greatly upon one another. Her illness was tough on him, but her death has been much more difficult. He didn’t want to move with us initially, but accepted it. He’s missed Mom greatly and depression has set in even though Fred and I have done whatever we could to not only include him in our activities but also encourage him to try new things. I was worried that his life was in danger…like many others who pass away not long after their spouses. But recently I’ve been encouraged that there is a glimmer of hope. Devany has become so close to him and he has, in turn, become focused on her welfare. He has begun to work with her on her studies and also has become her biggest fan as she develops her newfound basketball skills. It seems to be providing him with a new relevance and to be rekindling his love of life. I think I am too much a remembrance of my mother to him but his granddaughter is a step far enough away to take his mind off my mother a bit.

As for me, I'm doing fine. I love the small city atmosphere of San Luis Obispo, the extremely pleasant moderate weather, its proximity to Pacific Ocean beaches, the friendliness and laidback attitude of the residents here, and my job since it really feels like I'm helping people. I am missing my boys though, but both are doing well.
Dynasty Threads:
PointGuard

Postby PointGuard » Thu Aug 11, 2022 3:39 am

Cal Poly Mustangs (9-7, 5-2) @ UC Santa Barbara Gauchos (9-7, 4-3)

Eugene Wallace, 2nd Assistant Coach (player development)

The Gauchos are really good ball hawks. We need to make good passes and protect the ball. Additionally UC Santa Barbara has won 7 of their 8 home games. There’s a pretty big crowd here so we need to try to gain control and take the crowd out of the game. SG Chris Hucks is their top player. He’s averaging just 12.9 ppg but he’s capable of putting 20+ points on ya because he hit’s a high percentage of his shots. SF Tyler Brown (11.6 ppg) has been a consistently good scorer. C Ervin Blackwell has scored just 8.1 ppg but is a steady performer...and he averaged in double figures as a freshman last season, so is capable of putting more points on the board.

After two unusually poor games, PG Aki Mosley has got his mojo back and has put 4 straight strong games together during which he’s averaged about 18 ppg. He’s been our high point man in 3 of those games and our top assist man in all 4 of those games, so he’s led us to 4 straight wins. We need him to have another great night. SG Dean Plowman is giving us senior leadership and has scored in double figures in 12 of our 16 games, while freshman SF Jason Fleming continues to be our best shooting player, hitting 55% of his FG’s and 48% of his 3’s. While our interior guys aren’t giving us a lot of offensive production, they’ve done a pretty good job on the boards.

Both teams are at full strength. We’re BIG underdogs, so we’ll have to put together a top-notch effort to have a chance in this away game.

Argh. Our first 3 possessions result in turnovers and result in a 4-0 lead by the Gauchos. 8 turnovers by us in the first 6 minutes and we trail 20-3 and the crowd is going nuts. We have yet to make a FG. 9 minutes into the game, Dean Plowman hits a 3 for our first FG, cutting the lead to 22-7. The half mercifully ends since we are behind 40-27. We made 3 of 6 3PA’s. Sounds good, huh? But we only made 2 of 16 FGA’s from inside the arc. Also, we had 14 turnovers…atrocious. And the Gauchos had 8 steals, exactly what we feared would happen.

We score the first 2 points in the 2nd half but then let UC Santa Barbara go on an 11-0 run. It was pretty much downhill from there. We fell behind by as much as 34 points before cutting into the lead a bit at the end. But we still got drubbed 79-55. We were outshot 51% to 31%. We were +6 in rebounds but made 22 turnovers to just 11 by the Gauchos.

SG Dean Plowman had 14 points and 9 rebounds and PG Aki Mosley scored 11 points.
Dynasty Threads:
PointGuard

Postby Wayne23 » Thu Aug 11, 2022 9:39 am

The road is tough!
Wayne23

Postby PointGuard » Thu Aug 11, 2022 10:15 pm

Cal Poly Mustangs (9-8, 5-3) @ Cal State Fullerton Titans (10-7, 4-4)

The Titans are a good-shooting, good-scoring team. They’ve won eight and lost none at home.

Turnovers again were our early downfall. At the midpoint of the first half we’d turned the ball over 8 times which had resulted in the Titans going ahead 18-9. We also shot horribly and fell behind by 14 points before rallying late in the half to cut their lead to 29-24 going to the locker room. C Roland Holland came off the bench to hit all 5 of his shots and lead our scoring with 10 points.

Cal State Fullerton burned us in the first 2-1/2 minutes of the 2nd half by hitting 4 straight 3-pointers. Trailing 41-28, we dropped our zone defense and went strictly to m-2-m. The Titans then put in 6 easy inside shots while we putzed around doing nothing and we were down 53-29. Although we began scoring, CSU Fullerton continued to drop in shots from all over the court. Midway through the half this game the end result was no longer in doubt as we trailed 65-39 and we were just playing to gain a little respect. Led by Denny Grove we began cutting into the lead. We got as close as 14 points before losing 84-64. The Titans hit 54% of their FGA’s including 11 of 17 from beyond the arc. The road is proving to be very inhospitable.

PF Denny Grove led our scoring with 19 points and he also pulled down 9 rebounds. C Roland Holland contributed 13 points. But Cal State Fullerton’s SF John McGadney torched us by hitting 11 of 13 FG and all 4 of his 3-pointers, finishing with 28 points.
Dynasty Threads:
PointGuard

PreviousNext

Return to DDS: College Basketball Dynasty Reports